Hen house/ limited space.

• 2 Replies

Eat your greens

Hen house/ limited space.
« on: January 03, 2019, 07:27 »
Hi all, I've recently got my hands on a hen house. After much planning/ measuring I've realised there's only really one place I can put the house. As I'm quite limited on what goes where. I'm wondering, I've a load of thin stone slabs, would that be suitable for a 'floor' for the run as I've nowhere to really move the house too if and when it all gets too muddy, if I do need to move the house how often should I do it? Thanks. Chris.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Hen house/ limited space.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 08:25 »
Slabs are fine as a floor - better than mud - but remember hens love to scratch around, so top them with bark chips.   You can replace these and hose down the slabs to keep things clean.

I would also look at roofing the run as that makes a difference to how well the flooring litter keeps.  If the run catches the sun,  you can use Onduline or something similar to provide shade, which is important.

If the hens are confined to a small area, it is also worth adding extra amusements.  A couple of logs to perch on are popular, hang up greens and chuck in an apple for them to peck at.

Finally, don't overstock.  A few happy chucks will give you more eggs than a load of cramped, stressed ones  :)

Eat your greens

Re: Hen house/ limited space.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 20:12 »
Hi new shoot, thanks for the information I will take that into consideration, sounds good to me, cheers!

xx
Space in duck house

Started by bantam novice on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 07, 2011, 22:08
by bantam novice
xx
how much space do they need?

Started by celtbhoy on The Hen House

28 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 18:59
by celtbhoy
xx
How much space?

Started by CatherineF on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post August 18, 2011, 08:24
by Sideshoot
xx
Run space

Started by alexroyall85 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 22, 2016, 23:17
by grinling

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 43 queries.