Best quality plug plants by a mile!

• 21 Replies

Goosegirl

Best quality plug plants by a mile!
« on: October 13, 2009, 17:16 »
I bought some begonia "Sunset" plug plants this year from Jersey Plants Direct as I had a "Eureka" moment for plants that would do well in some of my shady spots in the garden. The price was good, the plants were the best I have ever seen, they came with good planting instructions and I didn't lose one. The display has been stunning and I believe I will have the corms for next year too. I have just bought some more plugs of primroses and pansies and, again, they are exceptional quality, plus there were some double plants in the plugs so I got even more value. Compared to some firms, especially one well-known one mentioned on here a few times, they seemed to take real care and pride in what they sent out. I am going to email them to let them know and also to tell them I've recommended them on here. They deserve it!!!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

RichardA

Re: Best quality plug plants by a mile!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 20:16 »
I second that recommendation for Jersey Plants Direct -- I have used them a lot after a recommendation from a neighbour
R

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 17:05 »
Great to hear that! I hope others on here who have read this will give them a try too!

sclarke624

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 17:44 »
Yes agree with you they are good and very reasonable in comparison in price.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

birmancats

• Experienced Member
  • RIP Toffee
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 18:01 »
Always steered clear as you don't know what your getting but will have a look at their website ad see what they've got.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 16:59 »
Hi birmancats - if you do buy plug plants anyway, there's nothing lost - and I'm a hugh cat lover too but mine are nortie torties!!

lovemyveg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 00:14 »
Always steered clear as you don't know what your getting but will have a look at their website ad see what they've got.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I agree that you have to be careful of where you buy plugs plants.  A well advertised company that I bought in Bearded irises from failed me terribly and I wasted a lot of money with them being so small and not one of them survived, even after having a second batch posted out to me. They were so tiny and frail that it was not worth potting them up.  I have now crossed them well and truly off my list.  So I too will have a look at the Jersey company as I have stopped buying the plug plants because of my bad experience.

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 16:46 »
Lovemyveg - I wonder if it was the same well known firm I bought some from (can't remember which one now) but they really struggled. I love them but I looked at Cayeaux Iris but they are so expensive that I may have to resort to grabbing one locally in a pot from a garden centre so I can see the quality of it. Another recommendation - if you can get them when fresh in, Wilko's are good but the geraniums can struggle as they come in a gel and they don't like it much. Be good to know how you all get on with Jersey plants - let me know, please!

lovemyveg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 18:11 »
Lovemyveg - I wonder if it was the same well known firm I bought some from (can't remember which one now) but they really struggled. I love them but I looked at Cayeaux Iris but they are so expensive that I may have to resort to grabbing one locally in a pot from a garden centre so I can see the quality of it. Another recommendation - if you can get them when fresh in, Wilko's are good but the geraniums can struggle as they come in a gel and they don't like it much. Be good to know how you all get on with Jersey plants - let me know, please!

Can't really mention their name on here, but they are in Pershore.  I also had penstemons from them and it took me months to get them to the stage that they were strong enough to be put out into the garden.  I suppose we live and learn and only get what we pay for.  Although after saying that they were not that cheap from this company.

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 17:03 »
Ah - I thought they might have been from Ipswich. To a certain extent, you do get what you pay for but when the prices are fairly similar, it's a difficult choice. I do hope you have more success with this firm. I Googled to find your firm but didn't - never mind - I understand the problem mentioning bad reports on here so not to worry.  :)

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 19:57 »
I brought some in a place called Dunkirk, Nr Faversham, kent this year, (cant remember the name of the nursery) but they were purchsed in Mid April as plug plants for 99p each I planted them in large tubs in my front garden, they are still in massive bloom, everyone that walks past looks as everyone elses front gardens are now bear.  They certainly are a lovely flower.  Mandy.

KingEdward

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 15:19 »
hi,i've used jersey direct for a few years now for all my hanging baskets with great results,one particular year i had a damaged parcel  where the plugs had come out so i phone JD and another box sent out no charge. recommended

Paul Plots

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 00:58 »
Being mean I hardly ever buy plug-plants but was sent an email from a seed / plant firm towards the end of the summer. They advertised 150 polyanthus half-price. I bought them for under £10 including postage.

Although very tiny I potted them on and have 146 briliant plants filling 3" pots - locally the same are selling for 89p a plant.

We now have them planted out all over the garden and in tubs and baskets.... also finished off my parents front garden flower beds... so on this occasion definitely a good buy for me  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 16:33 »
I emailed Jersey Plants Direct to thank them for the quality of my plug plants and have just had a lovely email back. It feels good to give a bit of praise now and again.  :lol: :D :lol: :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 03:43 »
I emailed Jersey Plants Direct to thank them for the quality of my plug plants and have just had a lovely email back. It feels good to give a bit of praise now and again.  :lol: :D :lol: :D

That's well worth doing - thanks for the tip.  ;)

I will email the company that supplied the half-price polyanthus plugs once I have some photos of the results in bloom.  :)

xx
Plug plants

Started by Goosegirl on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post June 07, 2023, 12:48
by snowdrops
xx
Size of plug plants

Started by mumofstig on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 27, 2024, 21:24
by New shoot
xx
Tesco doing plug plants

Started by lazydog on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post March 23, 2010, 21:49
by lazydog
xx
Ornamental grasses plug plants

Started by Lesleyk on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post April 04, 2014, 13:51
by Lesleyk

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 39 queries.