New Allotment

• 3 Replies

Jimmy241273

New Allotment
« on: March 31, 2008, 11:09 »
Hi I have finally got my allotment and now plan to start sorting it out.  The Question is where to start?  There are 3 raised beds and the rest is covered in grass, at one end there are some rasberry plants surrounded by really tall grass, so, where do I start with the beds? How do I get rid of the grass and what shall I do to get the soil ready for planting? and finally what shall I do with the rasberries Id like to keep them if possible cos I like eating them.  
Thanks in advance

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
New Allotment
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 11:37 »
for the grass.. get out the roundup..

noshed

New Allotment
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 12:22 »
Welcome Jimmy
There's articles in the "information" bit of this site which you will find useful.
I would start on the raised beds first - you may only need to dig them over roughly. If you've got any compost, dig that in. After you've dug it rake it over and spread some chicken manure pellets or blood fish and bone and sow away! You could put some spuds in too if you like.
As far as the grass goes, trim the stuff round the rasberries right down and try to dig it out. Then mulch the rasberries with compost if you have any. If not top dress with BFB or the chicken manure pellets.
The other grass you could knock out with glyphosate (be careful not to spray it on anything you want to keep) or dig it out - it's your choice. Glyphosate is effective on largish areas if you use a watering can which you don't use for anything else (cheap from pound shops, then keep it just for that.)
Make a compost heap to put all your weeds in (pallets) and you're made. Just the right time of year to get going!
And buy a copy of Vegetable Growing Month by Month by some bloke called John Harrison.
Good luck
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

love-my-plot

• Experienced Member
New Allotment
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 12:26 »
Or if you don't do chemicals strim the grass down and cover it till you can get to it  :D
Decide what veg you wat to grow ... what do you like?

Turn  over the soil in the raised beds and maybe add some well rotted manure to two and leave one manure-free for carrots & parsnips.

Good luck with the new plot  :D

xx
My allotment

Started by durham_lass on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post December 01, 2007, 10:18
by sweet nasturtium
xx
We Got an Allotment!

Started by Matthew Gayles on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 05, 2011, 21:58
by Nikkithefoot
xx
New allotment help please

Started by Debbiem on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 01, 2010, 20:48
by Ice
xx
JUST GOT MY FIRST ALLOTMENT

Started by nickthegreek on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 24, 2009, 21:42
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 38 queries.