dog proofing

• 6 Replies

corco2000

dog proofing
« on: February 23, 2011, 11:04 »
Hello, I have several raised beds with strawberries and herbs. The dogs are running up and on top of them. What ways can you think of to stop this but look nice??

I dont we chick wire, dont like it. Do you think a couple of strands of thin wire on posts will work?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: dog proofing
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 13:36 »
It might work, but they might jump over it if the running about over the beds is part of play. ::)  A low picket fence? The danger is they might jump over anything low, but presumably it can't be too high so that you can get at the beds to tend.

"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

RichardA

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 13:41 »
I dont think the wire will help and could hurt the dogs if they get entangled. Can't you tackle the behaviour of the dogs or keep them inside unless you are with them. Would a hosepipe act as a learning aid !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We have ultrasonic devices to keep foxes away from the ducks, most of the local cats will not go near them but our dog does pass them. Perhaps there are dog deterents out there to be bought. Have you googgled it ??
R

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 14:32 »
I would think the easiest answer would be to train the dogs they are not allowed to run over the raised beds.

I wouldn't want to use any low fencing as if the dogs did jump up they can trip and fall, possibly injuring themselves.

corco2000

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 09:50 »
thank you for your replys. So train them that there not allowed to run on top of bed makes sense.

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 16:22 »
Make a timber frame out of roofing battens the same size as your bed. Attach hoops made from 16mm pipe about every 2ft, then cover with netting. This should keep both your dogs and birds off. If beds are greater than 4ft x 8ft make 2 or more per bed.
4ft x 8ft is about the max 1 person can remove to work on bed.

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 23:37 »
We use sheep fencing (wire but big square holes) to reinforce the hedge at the bottom, fence off the veg patch and put temporary protection around areas like new tree or worn bit of lawn.  Dogs can't get through it bit it's not too visually intrusive round the garden

It's adequately supported on metal spikes,  easy to handle and move around, plus quite cheap to buy on a big roll from farmers supplies.
ManicMum

xx
pest proofing one of my plots!

Started by fish on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post April 17, 2008, 21:57
by Aunt Sally
xx
Weather Proofing Old Pallets...is it worth it?

Started by Axe Victim on Design and Construction

13 Replies
Last post February 02, 2007, 21:40
by legendaryone

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 35 queries.