Renting a garden

• 17 Replies

Anton

Renting a garden
« on: March 14, 2024, 12:37 »
The plot of land I have been working on for the last two years is now going to be partially built upon. I found another plot of land, which is a bit further away (I don't drive) but is in a really nice spot, fenced off and water supply from a tank and a neighbour's roof.

The owner charges Euro 45 of 85 depending on the size of the plot. Euro 45 is about Pounds 40 I think.
I have always had plots for free for the last 18 years I have been gardening in this area, provided I kept them tidy. Does the rent sound excessive to you? The land is privately owned.

Anton

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Renting a garden
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2024, 12:54 »
You don’t say how big the plots are but we are very happy to pay about £40 per year, including water and liability insurance, for plot which measures about 10 x 15 metres.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2024, 16:04 »
If you can give e us an idea of the size of your plot, it might help answer your question Anton!  :)

Anton

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2024, 16:31 »
Thanks for your replies. I'm not sure about the size yet. I was talking about 10 metres by 10 metres but I have to see the owner again. I should also have specified the Euro 45 is per month.

Anyhow, I wrote to the owner yesterday saying I had never had to pay before and have not received any answer so far. Maybe I annoyed him. If he's that sensitive perhaps it's best not to get involved. We'll see!

Anton

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2024, 17:12 »
I'd say my allotment is about 250sqm and costs £40 per year. 45 euro per month sounds expensive to me

Anton

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2024, 18:12 »
Thanks Vikingraider. Do you rent off the council, local authorities?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2024, 18:44 »
That's over 500E per year for perhaps 100 sq m  :ohmy:

Probably about 10x more than in the UK for a council run plot.

Private sites can be far more expensive, but I doubt they are anywhere in that region, nevertheless!!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2024, 18:52 »
Well, I’d say you have been very fortunate not to have had to pay for this length of time, but I’m not sure what your economy over there is like? But that seems a lot per month/ year,  but the landowner is probably just trying to keep himself afloat maybe. Or he is robbing you. I suppose it comes down to how much you want the land and how much you are prepared to pay in all honesty. I hope you find somewhere to carry on
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2024, 18:55 »
Thanks Vikingraider. Do you rent off the council, local authorities?

Yes, rented from the local council

Anton

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2024, 20:14 »
Thanks for replying everybody. Yes, I thought it was a bit steep.  Well, I think I can continue, for at least another season, in a plot to the left of the one where they intend to build, but I suppose they will be building on the entire piece of land at some stage as this is an expensive and much-sought-after place to live (we moved here over 35 years ago and bought and gradually did up a house that was a complete ruin, so really cheap). It's a great spot to live in.  The plot I have been working on is a five-minute walk from a forest that stretches for miles, for example.

Anton

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2024, 09:21 »
Does sound expensive but I suppose it depends what is included. If it's just a square of soil I'd look for something else. If it includes a cafe/clubhouse, seed swaps, manure deliveries, good security, good parking etc you might think it's worth it? Who else is there? Is there a good community on the site? How secure will the tenancy be - will you just get it how you want it & then have to move again?

Anton

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2024, 12:01 »
No. Just a piece of land, in a lovely spot. One other gardener apparently. I am supposed to see the owner this Sunday, when he said we could discuss the price. I guess the person is keeping the land as an investment, as he lis retired and lives elsewhere. I am 72 so if I can keep gardening for another few years, I would be pleased.

Anton

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2024, 18:59 »
Hope you can negotiate a good deal Anton  :)

Anton

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2024, 14:37 »
Well the owner has gone off on holiday (honeymoon) so I have not met him yet but I met the prospect fellow gardener who is a nice Spanish lady and the owner will be back in two weeks.
Starting preparing the site as there is a lot of rubbish there (plastic  sheets and so on - Spanish lady said the previous tenant grew strawberries!).
Anyhow, I have just noticed that the plot I will be working is full of small stones (see photo). Any advice you may have about this would be welcome.

Anton
Garden with stones.jpg

missmoneypenny

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2024, 21:51 »
Maybe the land doesn’t have planning permission and he’s holding it, hoping to get permission down the line? A cousin of mine inherited some land in France her father bought decades ago hoping to be able to build on it one day. That’s unlikely to ever happen, so it’s a white elephant really. Sorry, I digress.

xx
Cost of renting a patch for GYO

Started by barney rubble on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 23:10
by matron
xx
Help - renting space in my polytunnel?????

Started by mumof4 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 10, 2008, 21:25
by cooperman
xx
New garden

Started by lfcevans on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 02, 2019, 14:12
by neilbdavies684
xx
Does anybody want to use my garden?

Started by Amy** on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 18, 2012, 21:42
by Salmo

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 53 queries.