New garden

• 3 Replies

lfcevans

• Experienced Member
New garden
« on: June 02, 2019, 10:38 »
Hi everyone, its been a while.

I have recently moved house (October 2018) and have gained a much larger garden.
I have had to totally renovate the whole garden which involved moving a lot of soil around and also importing about 5/6 tonnes of organic good fertile soil. The basic design is now somewhere near to were I want it regarding the layout, so earlier this year i started planting some of the trees and perennials out in their final positions.

Most things are growing well, but Im having a couple of issues with raspberries and strawberries. The site is slightly sloped and quite well drained, Im not sure of the ph of the soil as most of it has been imported.
I planted the strawberries and raspberries as bare root adding compost into the planting holes with blood fish and bone. I have recently added chicken manure pellets aswel, which I did for all other plants.

Out of 8 raspberry plants 5 died, and 3 started to sprout side shoots and flowers and then 2 of these started to wilt and die. I bought another 6 plants bare root and planted 1 of them in the same position as the ones that died to see if I can spot any issues, It started to sprout shoots and flowers and then wilted and is now dead. The other 5 I have planted into a container with bagged compost, blood fish and bone and chicken manure pellets, 1 died 4 have sprouted shoots and flowers but 1 of them is now wilting and looks on its last legs.
 Is it something I am doing wrong
They have all had plenty of water without being waterlogged
All have had BFB at guided rate
All have had organic chicken manure
imported soil was organic left fallow for 2 yrs
They are all Tulameen variety

The Strawberry plants
Planting as recommended with the crown above soil level and mixing in bagged compost. Out of 20 plants 6 died, so replaced them with same variety...Mara de bois
They are now all growing but some of the leaves look really pale green compared to the others. Some of them look a bit stunted also. I have obviously added BFB and organic chicken manure pellets the same as everything else. They are all within the same area as the raspberries.

Could there be something wrong with the soil ?
Are they just a bad batch with a virus ?
Is PH an issue possibly ?
Weather related ?

I have no idea. In my old house I just planted the same varieties in the same way and they grew really well.

hope someone can give me some pointers

Thank You in advance

lettice

Re: New garden
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 11:46 »
Could be the soil.
Be good to do a ph test of it.
I do that regularly on my garden plots. I use the ph paper test strips, available on Amazon for about a quid, taking samples form all over the plot.
Raspberries and strawberries require a slightly acidic soil, so 5.5 - 6.5.

You say other things are growing well, what kind of things are doing well?

lfcevans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 12:42 »
Hi. Thanks for your reply

Yes your right I should really do a PH test, and will get one as soon as possible.

I didn't think raspberries and strawberries were slightly acid loving. I grew them in neutral soil at my old place and they did really well. I did a Ph test there

The other things that are growing are a herb bed, so lavender, sage, rosemary etc, some onions from sets that are going to seed, honeysuckle. A cherry tree, a plum tree, apple tree and a duo pear tree. All grown in that area with similar mix of soil.
The soil isn't solely the imported soil, its a mix of soil from around the garden and imported soil

neilbdavies684

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 14:12 »
Similar thing happened with strawberries when I started gardening. Strawberries won’t like too many waterings when you’ve first transplanted them, Could be your being too kind to them, they’re pretty tough once they get going 😊

xx
what are you doing in the garden now??

Started by gardener247 on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post January 07, 2010, 09:27
by Bobby
xx
Garden Mag

Started by Stevens706 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 22, 2008, 06:07
by Stevens706
xx
Does anybody want to use my garden?

Started by Amy** on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 18, 2012, 21:42
by Salmo
xx
THE GARDEN HAS GONE MAD!!

Started by wyandotty on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 22:24
by 2peasinapod

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 38 queries.