Mantis Tiller won't start

• 4 Replies

Eblana

Mantis Tiller won't start
« on: March 29, 2013, 09:29 »
Hope someone here can help me!!

I wanted to empty my mantis tiller of oil at the end of the summer but OH was having none of if.  Rather than cause a row I bowed to his 'better judgement' and of course now it won't start. >:( >:(

We emptied it out last weekend (OH turned it upside down and drained petrol and oil out) and went and got new petrol and oil and refilled everything.  When we had done that my OH kept repeatedly pumping (possibly up to 50 times!) the little rubber button 'to flush fresh petrol through it' but still no joy, I suspected he was flooding the engine but didn't dare say anything as he was already in a bit of a huff because 'I should have emptied it before the winter' and didn't want to have to listen to a rant :(.  I have left it standing in the shed for the last week.

I am hoping to get up to the plot on my own to try to deal with it  ;) and was wondering if anyone would have any ideas on what I should try

smud6ie

Re: Mantis Tiller won't start
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 13:30 »
From your post it seems if your mantis is a 4 stroke?? if so one empties the fuel tank for the winter but NOT the engine oil,when the oil is changed  the engine  should be run so the oil drains easily and flushes out the rubbish.
A good start would be to make sure  the plug is sparking,if you can do that and it is then the problem would probably be gummed up jets but do check the spark first in case the on/off switch has stuck in the off position.
smud6ie

Eblana

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 18:16 »
Thanks for that Smud6ie, Yes it is a 4 stroke.  We took the petrol out of it last week but just topped up the 4 stroke oil. Would you have any idea where the spark plug is located - we didn't have to install it during the assembly so I assume it is located somewhere within the body of the engine which arrived already assembled.

smud6ie

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 10:28 »
You should see a black lead on the front of the engine,gently prize the cap off and unscrew the spark plug .
If it looks wet then clean and dry or replace if easier. pull starter several times to blow any moisture out of the cylinder then connect lead,hold the metal of the plug on metal of the mantis and pull the starter cord and see if there is a spark at the plug gap,you may need help to hold and pull.
If there is a spark,  then try and start as normal.If it does not start or there is no spark then I would advise getting some one more experienced to look at it for you.
smud6ie

Eblana

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 08:59 »
Thanks, one of the lads up at the plot gave me a hand with it, got the plug out and there was a bit of carbon on it so we cleaned that off but no joy with getting it started.  Brought it down home with me and stood it is the warm conservatory as the guy suggested that the old petrol in the system may have gone to jelly with the cold.  This morning it has started twice but cut out after a couple of minutes.  Going to order a service kit off Mantis as the filters may be clogged and see where we get with that.

xx
Mantis tiller / Stihl multi-tool tiller/cultivator

Started by Turkey Jane on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post August 12, 2008, 12:10
by Percy
xx
merry tiller and mantis tiller - compare/contrast?

Started by mushroom on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post July 17, 2007, 05:17
by Gwiz
xx
Mantis Tiller

Started by mikeimp on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post April 15, 2013, 05:48
by Growster...
xx
mantis tiller

Started by Fluff on Equipment Shed

24 Replies
Last post October 18, 2007, 21:48
by shaun

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 34 queries.