5 x 50L plastic pots: ideas wanted about what to plant in them.

• 5 Replies

lemonstar

• Father, swimmer, physicist, writer.
I bought some 50L plastic pots with the idea of planting blueberries as I read that they need a particular soil conditions and my sister in France (the Charente) has figs (Rouge de Bordeaux) that  grow well in the confines of a pot but I hadn't really thought about what I might use the other 3 pots for. I can move and position the pots in the garden which is south facing so it has plenty of sun in parts and places on the east and west facing sides I can move or position the pots if I need to avoid early morning sun or too much sun late in the afternoon. I was thinking fruit - I have plenty of strawberries, raspberries and redcurrant down on my allotment where I am planning on putting some cordon pears (Conference probably) and apples. The only other things I really wanted were either damson or yellow plum - my sister lives in an area where mirabelles (type of small round yellow plum) grow well. can anyone suggest some fruits and varieties worth considering? I made jams, conserves and ice cream last year and I'm keen to make more - that's why I like the idea of damsons if I can get something that will grow OK in a 50L pot but the only damson trees I've seen are pretty big. thanks
The rest of you... keep banging the rocks together.

Potterer

• Experienced Member
Re: 5 x 50L plastic pots: ideas wanted about what to plant in them.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 14:04 »
Hi. I think you’ll get a better blue berry crop if you have two plants to pollinate each other....

lemonstar

• Father, swimmer, physicist, writer.
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 17:14 »
Interesting! Didn't know about that - any idea what the reason for that is? I can try looking it up in a min.

Christine

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 18:43 »
I've always been told that blueberries come in twos so that you have pollination. Best in tubs as they need ericaceous compost (they are lime haters like rhododendrons and Camillas) and it can be hard to get your garden border soil just so. They do like a sunny and sheltered spot.

Well that's my experience and we do get good crops that way up the plot.

Flowertot

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 22:59 »
I grow 2 blueberries in large plastic pots on my allotment and they do well. I did a day’s fruit growing course at RHS Wisley and was told that fruit production is significantly increased by cross-pollination. We were advised to get blueberries with overlapping flowering times - say 1 early and 1 mid season or 1 mid season and one late (or, if you really like blueberries, 1 early, 1 mid and 1 late season!)  :)

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 00:04 »
Damsons/Greengages?

I have a large 50l pot I was given recently so put an apple tree in it.

xx
Ideas and suggestions wanted

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post August 04, 2015, 07:00
by snowdrops
xx
Re-using plastic pots for seedlings?

Started by jsgreen89 on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 12, 2011, 10:20
by Paul Plots
xx
Pots - Plastic v Compostable

Started by allotment-shed on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 24, 2015, 16:24
by Aunt Sally
xx
Growing vegetables in Black Plastic Pots

Started by bangor1 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 02, 2008, 00:54
by Elaine G

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 45 queries.