Gherkins int greenhouse

• 5 Replies

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Gherkins int greenhouse
« on: August 24, 2017, 15:48 »
After mums passing away we had to clear the house for selling, the old greenhouse which has been there for 40 years kept whispering to me to adopt it  :nowink:
So very carefully I dismantled t and erected it back on the plot (number three greenhouse) but as it was May I was a little late for sowing but thought why not try Gherkins in there as an experiment due to our Fylde winds killing them off outside unprotected.

OMG in a very short time they have grown like I have never seen a plant grow and producing loads and loads of gherkins  :ohmy:
Think it is fair to say it has been a success and something I shall plant up next year.

Took a couple of side shoots off the toms as well, rooted them and planted them in it, they are producing better than the parent plants.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Gherkins int greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 16:45 »
It has indeed been The Year of the Gherkins & Cucumbers sound here too... isn't it great!

Glad you adopted the greenhouse too... you'll enjoy it all the more because of your connection I reckon  :nowink:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 17:09 »
3 greenhouses, wow that's some commitment, but I think I'd have done the same if it had been my dad's.😊 I could have swapped you for a van load of toiletries & candles from my mums house clearance😅.
I've had plenty of gherkins outside this year from 5 plants, but it's a struggle to get enough at the same size to get a jar full .
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 09:54 »
3 greenhouses, wow that's some commitment, but I think I'd have done the same if it had been my dad's.😊 I could have swapped you for a van load of toiletries & candles from my mums house clearance😅.
I've had plenty of gherkins outside this year from 5 plants, but it's a struggle to get enough at the same size to get a jar full .

Dont need candles!!!

what is it about candles?? must of been of that generation thing  :lol: :lol:
We also found about 30 boxes of firelighters, they had a gas fire, what was that about? Still as we have a log burner we adopted them too  ;)

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 17:29 »

Dont need candles!!!

what is it about candles?? must of been of that generation thing  :lol: :lol:
We also found about 30 boxes of firelighters, they had a gas fire, what was that about? Still as we have a log burner we adopted them too  ;)

Haha, I'm still using washing up liquid & bubble bath plus I think I've used the last roll of plastic bags, it's a year to the day today that I went & fetched stuff back that we were keeping before the sale of her house went through.
There were enough gift type things that I provided all the secret Santa gifts for my WI & sewing group 50 + gulp

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 17:39 »
I am becoming more mindful that one day someone will be doing a final house clearance here, and so am trying not to accumulate vast supplies of anything much, but my friend two doors down has just given us 25 (yes, 25!) containers of slug bait. She said they were only 10p each in the B&M sale, so thought it would saveus buying any next year

Next year!! More like next ten years  :lol: :lol:

xx
growing gherkins

Started by peter rooster on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

1 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 16:04
by mumofstig
xx
When is it too hot in a greenhouse?

Started by Yana on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post July 15, 2013, 10:46
by Yana
xx
i got my new greenhouse

Started by lizzie1982 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 02:08
by Paul Plots
xx
Greenhouse too hot?

Started by mclarkuk1 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post April 30, 2011, 12:57
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 38 queries.