• 19 Replies

homegrown

put me name down for a allotment
« on: January 14, 2013, 16:14 »
Hi all
Just put me name down with local council
Dunno how long it will take
Think I need more space than my garden for spuds
Any info on cost would be great hoe much does everyone pay yearly ?
Is ther alot of work involved ?
Thanks dave

compostqueen

Re: put me name down for a allotment
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 16:16 »
Hi and Welcome

Those questions are all answered in these pages, so feel free to browse  :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 17:40 »
Hi all
Just put me name down with local council
Dunno how long it will take You could ask the person in charge of the waiting list if they have an estimate how long it might take to get to the top - i.e. how long had the most recent new tenant been waiting?

Think I need more space than my garden for spuds
You could grow some early varieties in bags or larger pots this year if you wanted.

Any info on cost would be great hoe much does everyone pay yearly ?
As CQ says, this question of rental cost has been asked quite a few times - if you do a forum search you'll find the answer.  If you google your local council, you'll possibly find a webpage that gives you your local sites and the cost - though it may not show any private sites.  Also ask the person who is maintaining your site's list what their charges are.

Is ther alot of work involved ?
Depends on the state of the plot when you get it.  If it is overgrown, as so many are, then yes you need to mentally preparing yourself for quite a lot of hours in your first year in particular.  Once you're on top of it, then I go down once at weekends in the summer to pick things, and it ticks over OK otherwise.

Thanks dave

See above  :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 17:41 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

The Golden Heap

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 19:29 »
I waited nearly 4 years in Crawley, West Sussex, well worth the wait, first full year this year as took plot on in February last year, just relax and enjoy and order your early potatoe seeds...e,,mmmmmm

homegrown

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 20:04 »
Yea I think its gonna be few years.
Been looking on the google maps at various allotments near my house
Some have a high waiting list others only 2 or 3.so I emailed asking to be next on list

leelee

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 20:14 »
I was very lucky, I phoned to my name down on what I thought would be a long list and the man said there was a plot free, it had just been given up and no waiting list! This is my first  growing year. I hope the wait isn't too long

homegrown

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 20:54 »
What a result
Happy growing

Peas let my pumpkins grow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 12:47 »
I was on one list for 3 years and nothing, another list I had a plot in 6 months  :) so it varies.

My rent is about £30 a year and water is estimated at about £7 but could change if we use more or less.

When I took over my plot it was rather neglected and wild, I think a lot of people giving up plots do so because they can't keep up with the weeds anymore, so it may be quite overgrown. So clearing can take some time and obviously it depends if you have grand schemes planned or simple ones.

Hope this is helpful  :)

m1ckz

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 16:40 »
i was 6 months waiting..my plot is 32 pound ..includes water and petrol for the mowers an rotovators,think there is 5 mowers an 3 rotovaters for the use of  , i have around 150 square metres

leelee

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 19:49 »
Wow your rent is cheap, Mine is £74 and inc water, but nothing else. We have no shop,no deliveries of manure,soil,wood chippings, but then it is in the London!!

Peas let my pumpkins grow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 18:20 »
I was pretty surprised at the price, in my head I was thinking they would charge monthly and was expecting about £10 a month ... Was very happily surprised ! We have water and a shop/lorry container but I've never seen it open, probably because its winter and not many people are about  :)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 20:39 »
Wow that is good! We pay £13 a year for a full plot (but I only have half as even that is massive!) we are meant to have a manure delivery in December which hasn't yet materialised and water is included so nt bad!

dmg

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 21:00 »
I waited a month for mine, I now have 2 and can take on the unaccessable plot ( to everyone else) behind mine. We are £30 a year for ours

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 21:41 »
£60/yr for full plot.  Free water, but nothing else provided except free weeds ::)
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 21:43 »
I waited two years for a plot.  I had my name down on the council list plus the site I now have plots on.  A plot came up on both plots literally within two weeks.  The first to come up was the council one.  However the site was only 6 plots and bordering on a very rough estate that made me feel unsafe when I was there, s o when the other plot came up, I jumped at it.  The site I am on is more sociable and 6 acres with approx 100 plots.

I pay £54 per year for two half plots inc water.  There is a shop which is manned once a week by plotholders.  It is luck of the draw if you have a shed, etc.  Most plots are pretty overgrown before being re-rented.  Free bark chips are delivered by the Council but nothing else is supplied as we are a self-managed site.  

However, there is a hazel coppice planted ten years ago which we are now getting under control so soon there will be free hazel rods for cutting too.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 21:47 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

clip
New allotment

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 31, 2016, 20:58
by juvenal
xx
New allotment

Started by jan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 18, 2007, 14:04
by jan
xx
New allotment

Started by nappy501 on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post February 17, 2012, 15:02
by mumofstig
xx
Allotment

Started by linda graham on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 05, 2015, 18:42
by linda graham

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 39 queries.