using an incinerator

• 2 Replies

Bernard

• Experienced Member
using an incinerator
« on: July 16, 2016, 16:29 »
I have looked on other posts about incinerators but they don'e quite answer my very naive questions -
can anyone please tell me how do you light them, will they burn green material, and if so do they produce a lot of smoke?

hamstergbert

Re: using an incinerator
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 20:25 »
Easy light is crumpled sheet of newsprint and dry sticks.  Needs feeding with lots more dry wood etc to get it up to a good heat.  (Best to light it then walk away - being too attentive often results in it sulking and going out).

To burn green stuff it has to be really hot and although labour intensive the safest way of achieving success is to stay with it and feed a little bit on at a time as it needs to flash off most of the water content before it is dry enough to burn.   If you load it on good and thick you may be lucky and have it smoulder away for a day or three or if unlucky it may simply quench the fire. 

Green stuff will always smoke.   Sneaky people load it at night so nobody can exactly see the smoke although it tends to be easy to smell!  Minimise the smoke by having a really hot fire and as above, Eric style, ie. little by little.

Large volumes of damp big oak leaves will smoulder for days and I find the smoke issue is not too bad due to the steam as each layer of leaves bakes dry seems to do a reasonable job of capturing much of the smoke that is coming from underneath it, and any that does get out smells quite good as long as no neighbour has their washing out to absorb it!.

Above all, try to resist the temptation to prod a stick through the bottom layer of holes and start enthusiastically prodding!

And finally, if a Commanche is insulted by your smoke signals, try and persuade him it was a typo and you didn't mean what you appeared to say!

The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

Bernard

• Experienced Member
Re: using an incinerator
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 09:12 »
Thank you, hamstergbert, your description covers everything. The smoke is likely to raise the neighbour problems as I suspected so I think I will have to stay with the paid-for council removal of holly clippings and large-rooted weeds.

xx
Using an incinerator?

Started by Casey76 on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post September 22, 2011, 15:35
by arugula
xx
Incinerator

Started by LottyLouis on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post June 06, 2015, 13:41
by snowdrops
xx
Incinerator ?

Started by Petite graine on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 02:35
by Petite graine
xx
Allotment Incinerator

Started by Atom on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post January 20, 2021, 09:31
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 38 queries.