Runner Beans yellowing

• 7 Replies

Lottie Digger

Runner Beans yellowing
« on: June 02, 2019, 14:15 »
Runner beans on my allotment started well but are going down hill fast. There has been no frost,weather has been fairly mild and not much rain but I have watered a few times. Any ideas please, could it be some sort of blight? I have added a couple of photos.
6A92CD95-5E40-496D-AD19-7E8D722BC929.jpeg
8887133D-24A1-4A86-A5EE-224F239BCC34.jpeg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Runner Beans yellowing
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 14:25 »
Has it been windy? Sometimes that makes them sulk.
I'd try more watering with a liquid feed and cross your fingers...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 14:35 »
I think I can see quite a few blackfly on them (unusual when they're only that size but it does seem to have been a particularly 'good' year for aphids.) They may have sucked the life out of them at a critical time.

You can buy insecticides suitable for veg plants (subject to limits on the number of applications) or you could try soapy water spray, which I find does work, if not after just one spraying.

Then I'd do what Mum says - they need all the help they can get at the moment.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Pescador

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 18:38 »
If they haven't had a good soaking in recent rain, then I would water thoroughly. Next day dig down 15cm and check f it's moist.
If not soak again with more water to ensure it gets down far enough. Then give a liquid feed.
They quite often go backwards after planting and they do appear to be very dry and limp.
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

Iecabus

• Experienced Member
  • Plot holder since January 2018
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 12:53 »
I have noticed a similar thing with my beans although not as bad. When I first plant them they are a deep green but after a week or so the green colour seems to lighten, almost a sickly green colour. I remembered the same thing happened last year but after a couple of weeks they recovered and started to shoot up the poles. Did you harden off before planting? I didn't, I kind of think that may have something to do with it. I just make sure they are kept moist and they very often recover although I hate to say I'm not sure what ours will do.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 20:43 »
Remove the black fly with some gentle squishing and then give a decent soak with some Epsom Salts, which will give the plants the means with which to make more chlorophyll and quickly. It is almost as though their leaves outgrow their strength before the roots have caught up, if you see what I mean. The black fly don't help
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 14:54 »
give a decent soak with some Epsom Salts
That's interesting, Mrs rocket uses Epsom Salts in her bath, do you reckon it could be recycled

Br.

Ivor Backache

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 16:55 »
The big leaves in the photo are the seed leaves, and they do turn yellow and die. Their job is done. The true leaves are completely different, (Bit like ash tree leaves)  If they are dying then you do have a problem.
June this year is proving to be a rogue month,with lashings of rain and a north wind. I think the wind is affecting the plants. My outdoor tomatoes are blue, and I mean blue. My runner beans are climbing the sticks somewhat reluctantly. Some of my allotment neighbours are putting up wind barriers. Flaming June :nowink:

xx
Yellowing runner beans

Started by tonel on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 30, 2011, 12:47
by Yorkie
xx
runner bean leaves yellowing

Started by lucywil on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 21, 2007, 10:53
by WG.
xx
Yellowing beans

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 29, 2008, 16:31
by willnbirdie
xx
Yellowing misshapen beans

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 28, 2011, 16:24
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.381 seconds with 40 queries.