Poll

What do you think are the best options for my Ducks names?

Daisy,Poppy,Bluebell
6 (66.7%)
Lilly,Mayda,Bedche
1 (11.1%)
Adeh,Bailey,Bristol
1 (11.1%)
Lynda,Sara,Nicola
1 (11.1%)
Nekki,Optuse,Oregon
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Mites

• 13 Replies

Cal_Leghorn

• A white leghorn
Mites
« on: November 01, 2010, 13:59 »
This morning I looked out my window and into the garden and saw Pinky,Perky and Punk-Face(my leghorn chickens)pecking their own bodies franticlly.I realised they must have mites and cleaning my coop out has not worked.So I am asking for advice on how to get the mites of my chickens.
CALLUM LAWTON :)

orchardlady

Re: Mites
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 14:04 »
Welcome to the forum Cal-Leghorn. I'm sorry to hear about you poor hens and the dreaded Red Mite. There is an absolute ton of information on here about the red mite. Just type Red Mite into the search box at the top right hand side of the page and you will be able to see all the conversations and advice on the subject. It's basically hard work and regular treatment that's needed but you'll get there and once the mite have been sorted your hens will reward you with a new lease of life and a bountiful supply of eggs again. Best of luck and keep up updated on how you get on...We are all just sooo nosey! :lol:

Cal_Leghorn

• A white leghorn
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 14:07 »
Thank you very much for the advice and a BIG thank you from me and my chickens.I will do that and I will make sure I keep you posted on how I get on!!!!!! :)

orchardlady

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 14:10 »
You're very welcome....We'll hold you hand don't worry. :)

Cal_Leghorn

• A white leghorn
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 14:12 »
I am on my way to the shops to find some mite killer.

orchardlady

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 14:19 »
Hey there this is what I posted when I first joined regarding Red Mite. However have a look at Hillfooters advice to...excellent.

Hello everyone. i'm new to this forum. I've been keeping hens for over 15 years and I can honestly say that red mite are the one thing that would in the end make me give up poultry keeping, however I thought I would share what I do.

When you find an infestation...DONT PANIC..and rush out with the scrubbing brushes and broom Jeys and bleach. Step back take a breath and think. We know that the red mite can live away from the birds and house for some considerable time so you need to spray the contaminated house AND bedding with Poultry Shield in situ. If you empty it untreated you are rescuing them and they will crawl all over you, the house and the area you are working in! Go and have a cup of coffee. Come back and empty the treated house as carefully as you can trying not to drop too much on the ground or 'fluff' it up in the air, of all bedding and put in in black plastic bags and seal with a good tight knot at the top. Either burn it or dispose of it. DO NOT PUT IT ON THE COMPOST. The little blighters will only hop back on the hens if they scrabble through it or onto you and back to the hen house.

Clean the hen house very carefully either with a pressure washer or a hose pipe allow to dry. Poultry shield again. Once dry liberally sprinkle diocrematious (spelling???) earth everywhere in as may cracks and crevices as possible paying special attention to perch ends. Put old feed sacks split down one side on the floor of the house and newspaper on top of the feed sacks. Use shredded newspaper in the nest boxes to. Keep all this paper to a minimum. You MUST MUST MUST repeat all of the above within 5 days as the Poultry Shield will only kill the adults not the eggs. Keep this routine up for several weeks. Once you no longer see mites return to your usual bedding but keep vigilant and if the mites return get back into the routine of Poultry Shield and feed sacks/newspaper bedding.

Perches. If possible remove the perches spray with Poultry Shield and allow to dry. Clean very carefully of all caked on poop and debris. Creosote the perches. I rotate them by having two spare ones (a good fencing firm will probably make them for you), allowing the creosote to 'dry' for two weeks before putting back in and taking two out. Before I put the fresh perches back in I make up a mixture of diocrematious (oh goodness just can't spell this word..you know what I mean) earth and water mixed to the consistency of pouring cream or gloss paint and paint the perches and ends working it into the wood, allowing them to dry before putting them in the hen house.

The product that Bowden and Knight sells is called Ficam W. They will not sell Millenex (again spelling???) to people who are not commercial poultry keepers. I have not had to resort to Ficam W yet but keep it in stock 'just in case'. You have to be suited and booted to use it. Invest in Poultry Shield. It can be bought from Flytes of Fancy at about £18 for 5 litres. Give your girls Poultry Tonic (or similar), Apple Cider Vinegar and granulated garlic in their water. Pop along to your local greengrocer and ask if they would keep their scraps for your girls. They love a bit of lettuce, cabbage etc to give them a boost. If the green grocer gives you potatoes, carrots or other root veg just bake them..Yum!  You will soon have happy hens, as their strength is no longer being sapped by the mites that can take up to 5% of a hens blood a night. Your girls will once again repay you with their beautiful eggs and fun personalties. Happy hen keeping and give those red mite a run for their money (and yours)!!!

Orchardlady x

Cal_Leghorn

• A white leghorn
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 15:40 »
??????????how come no pet stores have what I need?????I fear for my chicks life!!!! :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 16:41 »
Try a farm supplies shop rather than a pet shop. If people could see your home county or town in your profile they may be able to recommend a good supplier .

Cal_Leghorn

• A white leghorn
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 16:44 »
Thanks for the advice I will but my home county in.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 18:10 »
Please note that creosote was banned completely for amateur use several years ago, and can only be used by professionals in very restricted circumstances.  It has carcinogenic properties.

The replacement, often known as creocote, is generally thought to be less effective at getting rid of red mites.

Hillfooter's advice on mites is often mentioned here, do a forum search as suggested and you'll find it  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Cal_Leghorn

• A white leghorn
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 18:15 »
Yorkie what is croesote (spelling??????)and I will search for it.

Cal_Leghorn

• A white leghorn
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 18:18 »
Thank you very much for your advice Yorkie!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 18:43 »
Are you sure it's red mite and not lice? if they're pecking at themselves I would have thought lice were more likely?

ehs284

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 08:01 »
It's important to be methodical. You need to look carefully at the birds. It may be a parasite or it could be another source of irritation. You'll be able to see mites , lice, fleas. Bit of spit on a finger end will capture for better examination (sellotape if you're fussy). Also look for any signs of skin disease or redness just as you would if examining your own skin. When you said that you'd cleaned the coop, what did you use? Were they pecking before it was cleaned? Have any pesticides been used anywhere nearby? Have they had any unusual foods?
It won't hurt to give them a bath in luke warm water and then a blow dry. They'll probably enjoy it (ours do). HTH

xx
Anyone tried predatory mites to control red mites?

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 30, 2014, 15:36
by grinling
xx
red mites again

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 10, 2008, 14:20
by Aunt Sally
xx
Red Mites

Started by coco on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 29, 2016, 12:09
by New shoot
question
Mites

Started by ychook on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:35
by feelingbroody

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 43 queries.