Where would you buy a suckling pig?

• 29 Replies

Dopey113

Re: Where would you buy a suckling pig?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 18:30 »
I'm not too bothered about a few ££ here and there, as long as its reasonable I can live with that, at the end of the day I dont begrudge a farmer or butcher making a profit, and long as I dont get ripped off, I'm sure you know what I mean, I might even ask for boar when I ring, I think its a stronger taste isn't it?
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

Goldfinger

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 18:34 »

A spit roast Boar? That's a new one for me, may even be a first.  :lol:

They are stronger tasting though, more 'gamey' they say.

Dopey113

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 19:21 »
Buy  a small one and a few bic disposable razors...  :D and away you go!!

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 08:03 »
not a full blown porker, (or we will never eat it all),

I can help you with that.

Griffete

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 13:38 »
were having a pig roast on are Allotment and were paying £1.50 a 1lb for the pig so a 100lb pig would be £150 so were paying over the odds
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 13:39 by Griffete »

Fen

• Experienced Member
  • Location: Five feet above sea level, between Ely and Cambridge
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 12:56 »
Not wanting to spoil your day but cooking a whole pig, of any size is not simple. I would get professional advice, easy to burn the outside and leave the middle raw. Underdone pork is not good.

Dopey113

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 12:58 »
I know how to cook, so im OK (used to be a chef)

Fen

• Experienced Member
  • Location: Five feet above sea level, between Ely and Cambridge
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 19:02 »
Sorry -didn't know that!

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2012, 19:26 »
If you can get down to Smithfield market you can order from a supplier there. they were about half the price you would pay at your local butchers, the company I sometime use can get them. about 2 days notice he told me. mind you you will need to be down there very early in the morning,
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

Dopey113

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2012, 13:32 »
Sorry -didn't know that!

How would you!  :lol:

If you can get down to Smithfield market you can order from a supplier there. they were about half the price you would pay at your local butchers, the company I sometime use can get them. about 2 days notice he told me. mind you you will need to be down there very early in the morning,

I just finished a job in Blackfriers (I was working on the bridge converting it in to a station) Smithfield market is about 1/2 mile from where I was working, I was doing nights, so it was open while I was working, i have to say, if your not a trader, then your not treated well at all, there are some stall that are more public friendly though, but they tend to sell limited produce like cut meats and sausages... man do they sell sausages 1,000s of them!! but i see what your getting at, if you do find the right stall and someone who cares, then you will get a good deal and product from them

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2012, 19:15 »
Ah Blackfriers is that the Costain job ? anyway you should get a deal up there, If I was you I would get the freezer empty. I get a short loin of pork, you get about 17 chops and a roasting joint, a strip loin sirloin,  or a whole ribeye 5kg boneless chicken breasts (£20) 5kg of Cumberland sausages £5 that lasts me ages, you wont get a good deal if you only want a few chops and bits and pieces.  As being a chef you will know what you are talking about,all you need to do is cut it up and eat it or stick it in the freezer. you save loads of money buying it this way

Dopey113

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2012, 22:57 »
Skanska job... yea its true, the less you want to spend the more they get rid of there rubbish and off cuts, the more you spend the more they will help out with good deals, we get a van load of us go once a week and do a big order, then pick it up a few days later, he didn't have a pig he was asking about, i think he thought i was joking or he forgot

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2012, 08:31 »
H & C Meats for your suckling pig or pork, and yes this is the best frugal way of buying meat that is what we do as well. we charge our friends a small amount for our trouble and what we make pays for all our meat for the whole mouth, good quality and free for an hours work and back in bed by 5.30 am.

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2012, 09:51 »
suckling pig eh dopy over here in the uk rather expensive cooked loads of them cheffing in europe and prices were good then,one of my hero,s ---( was hugh fernliey witinstall ) untill he became yet another comercial sellar of product,s so river cottage prices --look--- and then find a local butcher/farmer instead they will beet him and his super inflated prices  :tongue2: ps i have some super marrinade recipes for the tiny porker,s if interested  :D
cheers jay  8)
Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2012, 09:18 »
they used to sell them frozen at makro! wont be fresh or prob the best quality but readily available.

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 39 queries.