Leeks and white rot

• 3 Replies

Springlands

Leeks and white rot
« on: September 04, 2011, 09:04 »
I picked a couple of leeks yesterday and one of them seems to have white rot - the other two seemed OK but I am assuming that the rest of the crop are now vulnerable to rot. Has anyone else had this problem with leeks.

The area of the garden where they are growing had not been used for growing vegetables for about 15 years and had suffered from onion white rot in the past - so it goes to show how long the spores stay in the ground. I will try the garlic treatment on the area where I am planning to grow the leeks next year because I am assuming that I will have transferred some of the spores when walking on the soil or using garden tools.

I am considering preparing all of the remaining leeks for the freezer (there are a lot of them) - do I need to blanch them or just cut and freeze - thanks in advance for any advice.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Leeks and white rot
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 09:36 »
http://www.allotment-garden.org/allotment_foods/Storing_the_Surplus_Freezing.php

This provides a guide on how to prepare leeks for freezing.  That being said, I didn't read it earlier in the year, and just chopped my leeks before open freezing on trays without any preparation.  They probably won't taste as good or retain quality for as long but I should really try to use them up more quickly.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 09:40 »
The rot will slow down a lot as it gets colder, so I'd be inclined to leave them alone..cooking leeks it's not too bad if you loose an inch or so off the bottom, is it?

I have OWR on my plot and don't get many that are a total write off.

Springlands

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 11:14 »
Thanks Yorkie and MOS. Think I will hedge bets - freeze some and leave some.  :) :)

xx
leeks v white rot

Started by mr Isaccs on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 20, 2010, 14:05
by mr Isaccs
xx
white spots on leeks

Started by washsaint on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 07, 2007, 19:33
by WG.
xx
Can Leeks Develop White Rot

Started by Dai on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 18, 2013, 09:34
by mumofstig
xx
White Rot

Started by DHM on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 15, 2019, 08:23
by Christine

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 37 queries.