Chitty chitty spuds!

• 10 Replies

gardener247

• Experienced Member
Chitty chitty spuds!
« on: February 19, 2010, 23:35 »
my spuds have a lot of healthy chits on them, people tell me to reduce them to 3 but i cant see the point, would it not be better to have lots of them? and my first earlies are big seed potatoes i was told to cut them but would the big seed not fuel good strong growth for the spud plants? :unsure:

peterjf

Re: Chitty chitty spuds!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 00:05 »
a seed potato has only so much energy , usually 3-4 holmes are enough to acheive decent size potatoes ,

my thoughts are that too many chits in the seed potato would produce plenty of green stalks and very small potatoes , i could be wrong ,  someone here will tell you anyway

Bluedave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 07:19 »
I think i'm going to experiment this year - half with all chits left alone and half with chits reduced to 3 or 4 and then see what happens.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 08:20 »
I you care to read back through the numerous posts about spuds and chitting this year, you'll find that our resident expert, Iain has already said that to get bigger, but fewer spuds, reduce the number of chits.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Cavolo Nero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 08:40 »
Maybe so, but I think dave has a good ideas - nothing like finding out for yourself! I might do the same with my international kidneys.
"If you want to be happy for a day, get drunk. If you want to be happy for a week, get married. If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, be a gardener." - Chinese proverb

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 08:46 »
By all means experiment, but I'd chose a different variety to do it with. You surely don't want huge International Kidney spuds - or do you? :lol:

Cavolo Nero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 08:53 »
No - mean Im not going to remove the chits at all so I get loads of tasty little new potatoes!

Cavolo Nero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 09:38 »
I you care to read back through the numerous posts about spuds and chitting this year, you'll find that our resident expert, Iain has already said that to get bigger, but fewer spuds, reduce the number of chits.

Surely if fewer chits mean fewer but bigger spuds, conversely more chits would mean more, but smaller?

andy135

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 10:42 »
I'm thinking of leaving the chits on my first earlies to do their own thing. Lots of small new spuds is fine by me. I'll reduce the main crop to three and go for larger spuds for storage.

Iain@JBA

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 11:59 »
If you like lots of small baby potatoes then leave all the eyes intact and plant them closer together and this will produce lots of tasty little tubers.
I'm preparing my selection of varieties for this year. I have 68 definite varieties and another 40 possible ones :ohmy:
Visit my website and view my potato blog and videos.

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 12:04 »
If you like lots of small baby potatoes then leave all the eyes intact and plant them closer together and this will produce lots of tasty little tubers.

Oooh I shall try that with one of my first earlies.  There's nothing like small baby potatoes fresh from the soil and my girls will love them.... I'm getting hungry already :D
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

xx
Blight resistant spuds and spuds in buckets?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 16:36
by shokkyy
xx
Spuds glorious Spuds

Started by Antonius on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 22:18
by digalotty
xx
spuds

Started by simonmoe on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 15, 2010, 20:51
by DD.
xx
Spuds

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 26, 2011, 22:52
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 38 queries.