Earlies

• 12 Replies

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
Earlies
« on: June 18, 2009, 20:58 »
PLanted my earlies about 12 weeks ago, they are flowering at the mo. had a 'furtle' and theres literally nothing underneath, one or 2 tiny spuds probably size of peas!

any ideas why?
steve

Beetroot queen

Re: Earlies
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 21:03 »
I had a few pea sized ones but we also had 6lb worth of not so small ones so I was happy to have a mix, I only planted 5 seed pots and two didnt produce anything (one of the old boys suggested it was because it was in shade) council hedge dont ask  :mad:

I was pleased as that was approx 2lb per plant. I was happy didnt help did I but I guess what I am saying is you might be suprised maybe you furtled the wrong bit  :blush:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 21:11 »
Did you suffer a very dry spell, or have you had all the rain that's been about. If you've been dry give them a good soaking and leave for another weekish :)

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 22:38 »
I agree with Mum :)

I purposely only watered half of my early crop to speed up growth on these ones and the half I watered are 2' tall just now, whereas the half I didn't water are only 1' tall.  Haven't furtled the smaller one's but the bigger one's are producing proper spud sized, um, spuds!  :lol:

lisa80

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 11:42 »
We have been hit and miss also dug 3 plants up yesterday pots at top were quite large for earlies but still had some at bottom of root that were still forming .Oh said was a waste and to leave them but was concerned about what size ones at top would get to if left .Out of 3 plants 1 had 3 pots another had 15!!!! 3rd had a good amount too .

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 13:22 »
agree with mum - a good soaking and leave them for a week or so. It's amazing how quickly the tubers swell in the right conditions!
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 15:36 »
We have been hit and miss also dug 3 plants up yesterday pots at top were quite large for earlies but still had some at bottom of root that were still forming .Oh said was a waste and to leave them but was concerned about what size ones at top would get to if left .Out of 3 plants 1 had 3 pots another had 15!!!! 3rd had a good amount too .
If you dig them gently, you could just remove the ones that are a decent size and cover the rest back up again. Give em a decent water and they should carry on growing :)

lisa80

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 16:32 »
Good idea!!!! will try that, just didnt want to end up with new pots the size of a baking spud !!!!! ha ha

Parsnip

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 16:48 »
If you dig them gently, you could just remove the ones that are a decent size and cover the rest back up again. Give em a decent water and they should carry on growing :)

Oooh, I shall do that Mum..I've dug a few plants now, some really good sized spuds on some and some with tiddlers...so next time I'll take the big ones and leave the baby ones...great tip :D

Iain@JBA

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 22:37 »
I just lifted one bag of Winston tonight. I planted one potato in a bag with 17litres of compost and I got 4lbs 6oz of potatoes. Result I would say. I wanted them for showing but they are far too big. Biggest one was 10.6oz.
Image015.jpg
Visit my website and view my potato blog and videos.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 23:10 »
Wow! Great yield :) Is it the variety d'you reckon, or just your good luck this time?
I'm getting nothing like that amount from my tubs :(

Iain@JBA

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 23:28 »
It is the way they have been grown for sure.
All the info is on my blog about how I grew them in small polybags that were set into a trench in the ground.
The recipe was - 100 litres of compost mixed with 16oz of vitax Q4 and 12oz of calcified seaweed.
Extra holes were made in a 17litre polypot with a paper punch to allow the roots access to the soil below but keep the potatoes in the bag.
The trench had fertilizer scattered along it and was 3" deep before I placed the bags in the trench.
I only allowed 2 chits to remain before I planted the potato in the bag.
Bags were kept moist with extra water at night if need be.
3 feeds of foliar feed were applied during the season. Sprayed for blight once.
Lifted them tonight and will tuck into them tomorrow.
Winston are a large groing variety but I have other varieties that I can feel are the same size.
I wish they had just been 6-8oz as they are too big for showing :(
Can't wait for the Kestrel and Bonnie to be ready. I had a sneak peak in a bag and they have beautiful colour on them.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 09:49 »
Sounds an interesting way to grow them, but if it gives yield like that WOW  we may all be trying it:D

xx
after earlies

Started by bright lights on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 23, 2008, 08:46
by GreenOwl
xx
First earlies

Started by Wilf on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 30, 2021, 23:47
by comfreykid
xx
first earlies

Started by hiccup on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2017, 08:05
by lettice
xx
Following on from 1st earlies

Started by safetrade on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 14, 2012, 10:21
by safetrade

Page created in 0.377 seconds with 37 queries.