First earlies

• 18 Replies

Handy Andi

• Fowlers Family Allotment
First earlies
« on: May 22, 2014, 15:36 »
I planted my first earlies on 21/3, in ground that had been warmed by plastic sheeting for a couple of months, and I kept the sheeting on for the first 2 weeks til the first shoots appeared. I know that first earlies are supposed to be ready after 100/110 days or so, but will the very mild weather we've had this year speed that up a little? I want to put a couple of marrow or butternut squash plants in the beds were the spuds have been, but don't think it's worth going to the trouble of raising these plants in modules now if it'll be too late to plant out (if the spuds aren't ready til end of June/beginning of July) I'm thinking the spuds should be ready a bit earlier as the weather's been warmer - what do you think? 

m1ckz

Re: First earlies
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 15:39 »
my rocket wemt in about that time..ive been digging them all week  not big  but very nice

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 17:12 »
I would have thought that first earlies should be ready in 70-80 days, although a lot depends on location, variety, whether they were chitted first, and of course your own feelings about size of spud versus total weight of crop.

Swift is supposedly the earliest at as little as 50 days, and there are many reports of Rocket being ready in about 60 days (hope so, growing them for the first time this year and hoping the speed compensates somewhat for the alleged lack of flavour - they have been in almost exactly 60 days now so a furtle will be taking place quite soon!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Handy Andi

• Fowlers Family Allotment
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 17:17 »
Ooo right, that's good news then  :) I planted Foremost and Ulster Prince that had been chitted, and Pentland Javelin that hadn't (a bit of a last-minute buy  ;) ) They've been in for about 60 days now, so I may have a little look at the weekend then, see if any could be used as little salad spuds...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 17:23 by Handy Andi »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 17:59 »
My Rocket have flower buds on them (which I always think is an encouraging sign) and they have been in since the end of March

Time for some furtling I think  :D

So furtle away, Handy Andi  :D :D :D

You may be in for a treat  :nowink:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

beesrus

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 18:22 »
For most areas, first earlies are 12 weeks from planting to readiness. My greenhouse aaran pilot were spot on. Have just been dug up to make way for the main event, the chillies.
I wondered when the f-word might make an appearance... it's that time of year. :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 18:24 by beesrus »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 18:25 »
John says
Depending on variety they will be ready to harvest between 10 and 12 weeks after planting.

http://www.allotment-garden.org/grow-your-own/potatoes.php

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 18:47 »
John says
Depending on variety they will be ready to harvest between 10 and 12 weeks after planting.

Phew! That's a relief - don't want to fall out with John because he's promised me a 10% bonus this year as long as I don't tell anyone (especially the other mods  :ohmy:), although I must admit I'm struggling to calculate exactly how much 10% of zero is actually worth!  :lol:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 18:48 »
John says

Phew! That's a relief - don't want to fall out with John because he's promised me a 10% bonus this year as long as I don't tell anyone (especially the other mods  :ohmy:), although I must admit I'm struggling to calculate exactly how much 10% of zero is actually worth!  :lol:

:ohmy:  You too?  :nowink:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 18:48 »
I lied - it was 20%!  :lol:

Snoop

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 20:53 »
You might be in luck. I planted out my Dunluce on 5 April and started picking decent-sized potatoes yesterday. I know you're going to say, yes, but you're in Spain, but I promise you the conditions are not that different in my area from a lot of the UK in spring. The temperatures are warming up now, but it has been very cold at night and even daytime temperatures throughout April and early May weren't that great.

In any case, first earlies are usually ten to twelve weeks, as mentioned by others, so you might as well get your marrow or squash started, especially as you got your potatoes off to a nice warm start. Why not start the seeds off in slightly bigger pots than usual to give you a bit longer, just in case?

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 23:16 »
Ive already dug up my swift 2 weeks ago and now starting on pentland javelin today planted end of feb in polytunnel     
diggity dig dig

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 01:23 »
Everyone always seems to get their spuds in so early, isn't frost a problem? I didn't get my first earlies in containers until the beginning of this month because of frost concerns, I'm only just finishing topping them up with compost and people are harvesting theirs XD

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 07:21 »
Our Annabelles were chitted at home and planted on 16th March, and we had the spuds - some quite large - from the first few plants yesterday!

So that's around seventy-five days, which is par for the course I suspect.

Snoop

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 07:22 »
Everyone always seems to get their spuds in so early, isn't frost a problem? I didn't get my first earlies in containers until the beginning of this month because of frost concerns, I'm only just finishing topping them up with compost and people are harvesting theirs XD

He who laughs last laughs longest...

xx
Which earlies

Started by Benny130 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 14, 2015, 23:01
by 3759allen
smiley
Last of the earlies

Started by Antonius on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 03, 2010, 20:58
by Curlytop
xx
Earlies

Started by grenhouse on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 20, 2009, 09:49
by mumofstig
xx
first earlies

Started by Tristan on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 06:05
by DD.

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 30 queries.