are cats a potential problem if chooks left to free range?

• 24 Replies

rosie14

we leave our 2 chooks to free range in our garden with it's 10 foot plus high wall to the back and 6 foot solid wood fence all round plus our neighbours horri high fir trees! Anyway my dh always worries about them in case cats get in which of course could be done with ease and tells me to put them away before popping out ANYWHERE! Are cats a rick really? I'd love them to be out more.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: are cats a potential problem if chooks left to free range?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 23:40 »
Our cat used to go into the chooks run.  She got a little peck sometimes, but she never bothered the chooks, it was the other way round!  :lol:

sarajane

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 23:54 »
I don't know about cats but my Terrier cross (who thinks he's a Great Dane) will stand up to anything except the chooks.  He's learnt to stay well clear of them having being pecked on quite a few occasions, even when they have been in the run and he has had his nose too close to the wire fencing.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 00:31 »
More likely to be taken by a fox.  6 foot fence is no problem for them, so better safe than sorry.  :(
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 08:15 »
Hi no cats shouldnt be a problem, before we got chucks we had must have had every cat in the aria use our garden for a toilet  :tongue2: but the girls soon put a stop to them  :D but as mentioned foxes are more of a concern. I let mine free range all day but we have a cannal at the back no tow path, the other side two rotwilers so touch wood no foxes, we have seen mink so the coop is fox and mink proof as they are more likley to attack at night.
Chicken crazy

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 08:32 »
It all depends on how hungry the cat is !
A starving cat would have a go !

Raven81

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 10:45 »
Our cats and rottweiler all run away from the hens, as do the neighbours cats.

We don't have many feral cats around here so can't comment on them, but as said before, foxes are your main worry.
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 11:05 »
we have a ginger feral and he was very curious especially when we had young chicks but a quick squirt with a water bottle soon put paid to that, now he catches mice and either feeds them to the chickens or leaves them next to his feed bowl for me  :).
On another note - we have an 8 week old puppy staffy cross who came out with me this morning to let the chickens out. She was very interested until she saw one fly out of the coop I have never seen that pup run so quickly back into the safety of the house  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

evie2

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 11:45 »
So far we've not had any problem with our 4 cats or the neighbourhood cats and the chickens apart from last summer when Merlin got between Star and her chicks.  I didn't know cats could base jump ::) :lol:

Have you put a picture of puppy up yet Joyfull, she sounds lovely :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

SarahJC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 12:22 »
Our bantam Araucana hen charged at our cat last week. He jumped and froze close to the ground. She reached the wire and they eyeballed each other, then moved off in slow motion  ::)

All our cats have been nervous of the chickens. As is our neighbours cat who hunts anything that moves.
8 chickens, 5 cats, 2 guinea pigs and 1 other half.

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 17:39 »
Not had any cats in the garden since we got the chickens.Lots of foxes in the fields at the bottom of the garden.We do not even see many cats in the neighbourhood now, It may be that the foxes have killed/chased them away. Plenty grey squirrels if anybody wants some :D

Suzybat

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 22:18 »
My six girls
 surrounded a cat this afternoon, it did not know what to do, then shot back up the fence and out again, I dont think we will be seeing it in the near future!!!

Mickle

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 07:41 »
Only ever had problems with one, and it came every night and killed one Pheasant hen and always fed on the two oysters of meat above the hips, when I finally stopped it the Stainless name tag had its name and address enclosed it was not Feral and I knew its owner.
The Pheasants were a little bigger than the bantam,  FULL GROWN Chickens being bigger and noisier would probably be too much for a cat which are all Cowards at heart, However their chicks and poults would be fair game. 

nic_28

• Experienced Member
  • this house is fit to burstin'
    • www.facebook.com/njcooneyphotography
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 10:19 »
great thread topic, and great advice. Im adopting a bit cuddyy handsome boy soon and I wondered if it would cause uproar in the hen house!
mother of 2 human children, 1 Merlin cat, 2 Lionhead Lops, a R.I.R , Buff Orpy, Light Sussex, Bluebell and  Speckeldy.

bygrace

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 13:32 »
My cats are inquisitive, but nothing more. One day one of them got a bit close, and 3 chooks stared her out - no physical contact - the cat just wandered away sheepishly!
I have no qualms at all.

xx
free range chooks for eating?

Started by wildeone on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 09, 2008, 18:01
by Aunt Sally
xx
Flubenvet dosage in free-range chooks

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post November 27, 2010, 10:07
by VeggieVirgin
xx
Anybody free range?

Started by Beekissed on The Hen House

38 Replies
Last post October 28, 2016, 19:22
by greenjay
xx
Food from free range

Started by janeheritage on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 05, 2009, 21:43
by henrys.hens

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 39 queries.