Chooks or 'Not fair' chooks ??

• 8 Replies

Mega

• Green Manure Plot 99
Chooks or 'Not fair' chooks ??
« on: September 03, 2010, 21:32 »
Hi

I am desperate to have a couple of hens or Bantams of my own in ourback garden, however I only have a small area ( which would be permanant residence ) for which they could go. It is only about 4 feet x 9 feet and the coop would be part of that too. We would be making our own coop & run so can maximise where it is needed most but I am not sure if this area would be fair to a couple of chooks ???? :unsure:
Any views or tips or ideas would be most welcome. I have an allotment but are a distance too far for putting to bed & getting up fairly there too !!
 :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Chooks or 'Not fair' chooks ??
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 21:37 »
if you made the coop high so that the chickens had the space underneath to use as a dust bath, and covered the run to help protect it from rain thus preventing it becoming a mud bath then the floor area would be ok for 3 bantams (just) but not large fowl. You could also fit in a perch in the run to give them something to sit on. You would have to periodically change the flooring (lots on here use bark chippings) and disinfect the ground.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Mega

• Green Manure Plot 99
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 21:57 »
OOh thank you most helpful 8) Would a log pile help at one end too ?? Are bantams friendly like thay say the cochins are ???

Bantymad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 07:30 »
Hi Mega, i have bantams and they are very friendly. I would say though that my pekins that are adorable do take a lot of looking after as they have feathered feet, so have to come in once a week for a nice foot bath in winter as there feathers get very muddy. You have come to the best place for any help or advice, good luck choosing your girlies.

ehs284

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 07:58 »
Hi Mega,
As above, but check a bit more if you want bantams. We have great silkies and also pekins. The Pekins seem to be always broody. Nice and friendly but a problem with other birds. If you just have two like this it isn't a problem as they seem to be happy to be broody together, but it causes chaos for us as we have 16 birds of different parentage. They are also amazingly good flyers and our 2 metre fence is no problem for them.
The other point for you small area is going to be cleaning, so again have a browse through posts - lots to read. Putting wheels on the coop will help.
One way to get a bit more space is to use your log pile idea and make it a ladder on the side of the coop so they can climb onto the top - beware though of the point about flying; you may need a net - and have a good delve into the posts on red mite as now is the tme for designing out the problem.
Enjoy

Mega

• Green Manure Plot 99
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 08:13 »
Thanks everyone - foot baths should not be a problem as long as they behave in my bathroom !!! - it's the only room with a bolt on the door and I have 2 young children with selective hearing, a boxer dog & 3 cats too hehee what fun !!!!

I will continue all that I can and compile a list of any further questions thanks again - will keep you posted  :happy:

Oh sorry anyone say if they are good layers theses bantams ?? :unsure:

Bantymad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 08:37 »
I also have dogs, so i shut mine out of the way and wash feet in kitchen sink, pekins sit happily in your hand and mine enjoy there pampering. I use a mild teetree shampoo, just a tiny bit in the water, and rince well then towel dry thougherly. As been said they do go broody and stop laying, and the eggs are small. I  have 1 barnvelder, 2 light sussex, 1 road island red,1 silver penciled wyandott, 2 speckledy sussex, 2 marans(not old enough to lay yet)but hoping for nice dark brown eggs, 2 pekins, 1 auracana, also to young to lay and not even sure if a he or she!! if a she named rosie will lay blue eggs. All bantams, all lay well out of 9 laying hens i'm getting 6/7 eggs a day. Have fun  there are lots more to choose from.

Mega

• Green Manure Plot 99
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 20:40 »
Sounds like it will be a couple of bantams then - mmm a speckldey & a maran am I on the right track ?

Bantymad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 20:55 »
If i were you i would try find a local breader and go have a look to see what you like, be worned Dont take any money with you!!! or you will fall in love and come home with some cute little chickens!! I did this at an aution...not a good idea. you could also google bantams and have a look online, i think most purebreads have a bantam counterpart. Have fun and best wishes.

xx
how do chooks mix

Started by chevvy on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 10, 2008, 10:51
by Vember
xx
What do chooks like to eat

Started by alisonwo on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 13, 2009, 13:54
by too many girls
xx
A day for new chooks

Started by Jellyhead on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post February 24, 2008, 19:52
by Swee'pea
xx
first chooks

Started by djt on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 22, 2007, 00:09
by muntjac

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 36 queries.