Help! Poorly Chicken!

• 10 Replies

Nickchick

Help! Poorly Chicken!
« on: February 23, 2010, 21:24 »
One of my three ex-batts has a problem and I don't know what to do!  When I came home she was hiding away from the other two.  I then saw that one of the others was pecking her bottom!  I saw blood and she was looking very sorry for herself with a pale comb.  I brought her in and have given her a warm bath which she didn't seem to mind.  I have kept her in but she is just stood in her box looking sad.

Is it a prolapse?  Can I do anything to help her?  If I bath her again tomorrow should I put anything in the water?

I am hoping for a reply from Joyfull as I know you do not live far from me although all help will be appreciated.

x

compostqueen

Re: Help! Poorly Chicken!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 22:31 »
I'm sure someone will spot this soon and give you a definitive answer but meanwhile I think a bit of salt in the water is usual in these cases.  Also some "purple spray" squirted on the blooming bit will deter the others from pecking.  It's gentian violet I think and is meant for wounds. You can get it from equine and chook supply places.  It's not a good idea to separate your girl for long as the others won't accept her back if she's gone too long. 

Sometimes when they moult it leaves their butts quite bare which encourages pecking of the vent so the purple spray will definitely deter. You only have to do a quick squirt and that should suffice

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 22:38 »
Sorry it took me a while to see this nickchick (fell asleep on the settee). If you look at this link Aunt Sally explains how to treat a prolapse

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=13900.0

Is she laying? Does she have anything protruding from her vent or is she just red and bald? If it isn't a prolapse then the best thing is to either remove the bully for a few days or to buy beak clips which will stop the bully from being able to peck her feathers. Do you have any anti peck spray or ukadex (nasty brown smelly stuff) - this will help to deter pecking.
I am off to bed now but if you pm me your landline number I will call you tomorrow  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 13:06 »
How is she this morning?

If others were interesting in her bottom, she might have a broken egg inside?  I've been having problems with thin and soft shells of late.  And have found that an eggy bottom does attract the wrong sort of attention.

If its a prolapse, you'll see it protruding from vent. 

If not, have a gentle feel round, if it's a broken egg you might be able to feel a bit of shell and be able to pinch hold of it and ease it out?  With all those feathers in the way, sometimes it's easier to feel things than see them.

Don't put her back with the others untill her bottom is back to normal, or sprayed purple.  Red will attact them, and they will make things a lot worse if they peck at her.

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 15:14 »
Hi Nicky, lovely to meet you this morning (beats going to the gym  :lol:). Hopefully she still keeps improving will send you a pm with my number etc, Joy xx

Nickchick

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 18:31 »
She wasn't too good this morning but with a lot of tlc from Joyfull she is much much better.  No longer think that it was a prolapse but a sore pecked bottom and a sour crop!!  Have learnt sooooooooo much today and hopefully she will pull through.  Fingers Crossed.

Thanks for replying it is reassuring to know that there are people out there who care.  And a special thanks to Joyfull for teaching me lots of stuff today (and spending my OH's money as I have to go and stock up on lots of stuff that I never even knew existed).

x

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 18:40 »
so pleased that she seems to be getting over it all, her new feathers will grow in time and good luck with fitting those beak clips (thanks go to grannie annie for these- as I still can't find mine!!)  :lol: :lol:
The stuff on the list - stalasan F, diatom, aviproplus etc all all useful items that should last you a fair while  :D
You now have my numbers so don't hesitate to call me anytime xx
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 18:42 by joyfull »

judrop

• the chooks !
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 15:51 »
So pleased to read the good news, isnt it great to have people like Joyfull and granny on here THANK YOU XX Ju

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 21:00 »
We seem to be having a very similar issue with our chickens.  We have recently started keeping chickens and have two, one appears to be slightly more dominant and has taken to pecking at the the other to the extent that she has caused a bald patch and drawn blood.  The area has been bathed and sprayed with a 'blue' spray obtained from the vet (duphacycline) but still the pecking continues.  Any advice from the experts?

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 22:29 »
Hello, have you tried anti pecking spray, or ukadex or stockholme tar. If these fail you could fit anti peck beak bits to the bully. These still allow eating and drinking but don't allow the beak to close onto a feather. They are available from the domestic fowl trust and cost £1 for 8 - you can order online and delivery is usually just a couple of days.
Hope this helps  :)

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 06:13 »
Thanks Joyfull, I have actually purchased some Barrier anti-pecking spray which I started to use.  I even saw the "victim" having a peck at the area herself!  I am actually finding it quite upsetting to see!

xx
Poorly chicken

Started by chuckmum on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 17:11
by chuckmum
xx
Poorly chicken

Started by alexroyall85 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 22, 2018, 08:54
by rowbow
xx
Poorly Chicken - Help Please

Started by Scrumptious on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 14, 2011, 23:53
by Lindeggs
xx
poorly chicken

Started by scarlet on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 02, 2007, 20:19
by scarlet

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 40 queries.