DE special grade? Is the right one?

• 13 Replies

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
DE special grade? Is the right one?
« on: April 12, 2013, 17:41 »
Hi all lovely people, im back with more questions. I bought some diatom earth powder last year, just checked on it now says special grade, gives the percentage n how to mix with food. And also the label says kills all the mites that come in contact with it within 48 hours.

Today i checked one of the coops it had red mite sitting on top of the DE. Are they not supposed to move away from the DE?

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: DE special grade? Is the right one?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 22:56 »
I think the DE has not been proven to kill redmites and other pests.  It is supposed to work by its microscopic razor sharp edges damaging the pest and it dies within 72 hours.  More info here

http://diatomx.co.uk/epages/eshop439661.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eshop439661/Categories/DiatomPest

One of our members did try using a freezing spray to kill them off.  The type plumbers use to freeze and repair pipes (available at most DIY stores).  If I remember rightly they were happy with the results.

Good luck with your extermination quest.  Do let us know how you get on and what worked for you.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 23:41 »
Then how does hilfooters slurry work for people if it doesnt kill the mites?

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 08:03 »
De also works by drying the mites out but is only an aide, albeit a good one. It sounds as though you had a food grade DE, I don't know if this would have made a difference. If there was a sudeen significant infestation it may not have been enough. I hope you manage to get rid of it. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 12:14 »
What grade do it need to get for mites then

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 12:17 »
What grade do it need to get for mites then

If yours states that it kills mites within 48 hours it is fine.   ;)

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 12:57 »
I hope so too ;-) sprayed yesterday will spray again today. And tomorrow the slurry :)

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 13:00 »
The slurry seems to help as it stays put and doesn't get blown away.  Good luck with your extermination program.   ;)

ehs284

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 18:42 »
The points about cutting and drying are both true and actually the same. The dust rubs the surface of the insect just like sandpaper and the insect dehydrates. A lot of food safe insecticides work this way. Some add pyrethrins which make the insects more active and so hasten their downfall. How this could be effective against internal parasites I cannot guess although people do mix it with food in the belief that it will be so. Food grade refers to the specification, mostly for inclusion of other materials and makes no difference in fighting mites, indeed I've never bought anything other than food grade as it was what was on offer. HF's slurry is a way of holding the layer of DE to a surface. Because this can be a problem in cold wet conditions as it doesn't dry and the birds practice skating, I've used vegetable oil brushed onto the surfaces and then thrown DE over it. This stops any problem of airborne dust as they flap to the perches. DE does work well, but is not instant (although you can add pyrethrins as above to help without any danger to the birds).
Many coop construction articles advise making joints tight to prevent mites hiding therein, however I would suggest that this is not a good strategy as the best of joints will move and open with time and environment. Making everything loose, easy to dismantle and with room between surfaces for the DE to remain is much better.

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 21:25 »
I did alot of murdering today good job i had poultry shield. They werentnas many as few days ago, they were hidding in holes which i missed last time.

my hen is broody im going to put her eggs in a box in put her in separate coop. Shall i dust her aswell and treat her with frontline. Will the DE dust affect the eggs? Shall i put some on the bedding n put eggs on top?

splash101

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 21:38 »
I would dust the hen with DE powder, unsure about frontline.

Whenever I clean out the coop and change the bedding i always dust it with DE powder, even in the bedding. Try and do it well before the hen will be going back in so the dust can settle. Otherwise she may be coughing and spluttering.

ANHBUC

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 21:50 »
The DE shouldn't affect the eggs but do as splash says be careful the hen doesn't inhale the dust. 

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 14:01 »
Shes sitting on them nicely :-)

ANHBUC

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013, 14:13 »
That is good news.  Broodies are a sitting target for crawlies so do check her over when you can without disturbing her eggs.  Her eggs will tend to stick to the baldy brood patch so be careful if you lift her off the nest.   :)

xx
Diatomaceous Earth (food grade)

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 21:55
by smiler43
xx
Diatom poweder.. Feed grade

Started by mohs.ayaz on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 18, 2012, 08:46
by Sassy
xx
Special Eggs

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 11, 2008, 18:03
by jonny1982
xx
Ex Battery Hens - Special Housing Discount

Started by John on The Hen House

35 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 11:55
by The Good Life

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 34 queries.