Fox advice

• 27 Replies

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Fox advice
« on: April 05, 2013, 19:08 »
I went into my garden last weekend to see one of my cats running away faster than I have ever seen him run,  my other cat was face to face with the fox who had his/her teeth bared. I chased her off, but have worried ever since what might have happened if I hadn't been there.  Unfortunately I have just heard that another cat on the cul-de sac has been found dead with his throat ripped out. 

What is the best way to get rid of the fox.  I don't mind paying, and I want it to be as humane as possible.  I know other foxes will come in her place, but she seems more deadly than most.  I have had problems with foxes and my chickens before, but never threatening my cats.  I am keeping the cats in over night, but the face-off on my lawn was at 4pm.

We know where her sett is, if this helps.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Fox advice
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 20:19 »
I would start by contacting your local Council because of a cat already being killed.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 20:23 »
Thank you, I'll do that first thing Monday morning.   I have no idea whether they will be concerned, and whether 'cuts to services' mean they can't help.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 21:34 »
I would be very surprised if you have any joy with the council. The council doesn't seem bothered when a fox attacks babies.

I would think you would be better off dealing with it yourself.

I don't know whereabouts you are, but if you google pest control/foxes and your area you will get a list in your area. I spoke to someone recently to find out what price they charged  and what they do.

They bring a cage trap and then shoot them.

You do need to make sure they are registered and that they aren't going to catch the fox and then let it go again once out of sight. As I understand it once caught it is actually illegal to let it go again and it has to be shot and killed in one shot.

We have an electic fence around our hens, thankfully 'cos at last count there were 10 of the things around here.

I hope your cats are OK. The urban fox is getting bigger and fearless.

scott87

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 21:47 »
this is a touchy subject and i dont want to caus an argument at all but here are the facts. the council will do diddly squat. foxes are taking cats due to a lack of food i.e rabbits the shortage of rabbits is due to a boom in fox and other predator numbers in turn due to hunting act brought in 2004.they even have started attacking small children all over this hunting act!! got to love our goverment .personally id ask about for a good 'RECOMENDED' (there are alot of naughty lads about) dog man and he will know where to find the denn and will dispatch the foxes.

hope you get this sorted if you struggle to find some one let me know i know aot of people around the country willing to help others with foxes and rats

scott

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 22:12 »
the rise in foxes is not due to the ban of fox hunting - in reality hunts caught very few foxes and most of those were rural foxes not suburban foxes (even though they are the same species they live very different lifestyles). Cars kill more foxes than hunting did.
There are more foxes in the towns because people give them plenty of food - rubbish dropped on the floor - bins over flowing, even feeding them on purpose etc. Plenty of food means their cubs will get nourished so they will breed more.

When rabbits and other prey are plentiful then rural foxes will also raise lots of cubs but when something like myxomatosis  flairs up and kills the rabbits then the fox population will also die down too.
Staffies are softer than you think.

yaxley

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 22:28 »
Agree with what joyful had to say there ..Town foxes wouldent know what to do with a rabbit they raise there cubs on pizza,kebabs ,fish and chips and other discarded take away food and what the do gooders feed them on there not afraid of people any more and are a nuisance dragging rubbish from bins ..Dont bother with the council as said earlier they are not bothered when foxes attack children phone your local pest controller who will deal with it ...
Grow organic as nature intended

bravemurphy

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 22:50 »
I am sure it is not illegal to release a fox after it has been trapped because it is not classed as vermin and it is indigenous to Britain unlike mink E.T.C.

so really the question is which is more natural the fox or the cat  ;)

yaxley

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 23:08 »
Not vermin just a pest ...I,d rather the cat never heard of many of them attacking children and i aint a cat lover ..

bravemurphy

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 23:14 »
I can always remember being told,

" never leave a cat with a baby because it will curl up and suffocate it."

yaxley

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 23:29 »
I can always remember being told,

" never leave a cat with a baby because it will curl up and suffocate it."

I,ve heard that never really knew if it was true or just one of those old wives tales like if you eat the crusts of bread it will make your hair curly .

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 08:58 »
Thank you everybody for their advice and concern.  To those who have given neither - as I am extremely worried, it is not helpful to hear that my pets are expendable and cats kill babies.  I accept that a lot of people don't like cats, but please can I ask you start your own thread to discuss this.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 09:34 »
If you google Urban Fox Control there might be something in there to help. Anyone who has smaller pets should be aware of the problem if they live in an area with these pests. You love your cats as much as others love their dogs and we should respect that.

Unfortunately urban foxes are losing their fear of humans, partly due to being surrounded by them, so humans are just part of the only life they have known, and partly because of some people constantly feeding foxes and badgers, and having a desperate need to make friends and have them take food from their hands. This shows no respect for the fox/badger as a wild animal, or neighbours who may have cats, rabbits or chickens. If people want a pet, they should go out and get one, not mess with wildlife.

I'll get off my box and duck down now.....

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 22:07 »
Found this on the web which does have some advice on Controlling Foxes.  Hope it is of some help.. ;)

www.rbkc.gov.uk/environmentandtransport/environmentalhealth/pestcontrolservice/urbanfoxes.aspx

Paul Plots

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 00:45 »
Found this on the web which does have some advice on Controlling Foxes.  Hope it is of some help.. ;)

www.rbkc.gov.uk/environmentandtransport/environmentalhealth/pestcontrolservice/urbanfoxes.aspx

A very nice useful and informative piece - well worth reading just out of interest. Thanks ANHBUC.

I see at least one fox nearly every night as I cross the road from my home to my parents place in the early hours of the morning. The foxes Den is at the end of next-door's wonderfully over-grown wooded garden.

Sitting in many of the gateways along our road are pairs of round yellow-green cats' eyes.  As the fox slinks along the pavement cats often wander away into their gardens. There seems a fair bit of mutual respect  / tolerance between them.

If either were cornered I'm sure they'd snarl. There again.... I might too.  ;)

(Our own cat is ordered in each and every evening!! So far she's never had a night out.... I know the feeling  ::))
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
Help......Any advice please

Started by Tattyanne456 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post September 14, 2009, 12:11
by poultrygeist
smiley
hello and a little advice please

Started by sarahw on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post May 07, 2010, 21:45
by Aunt Sally
xx
Help, Advice please!!

Started by carolbriar on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post December 10, 2009, 17:18
by carolbriar

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 39 queries.