B******** wind!

• 26 Replies

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
B******** wind!
« on: March 11, 2019, 09:59 »
Popped to the plot this morning to check on things and found that the wind had blown open the door of the polytunnel and knocked over some of my staging shelves. I've lost nearly all my early sowings pretty much. Days like these really make you want to knock it all on the head...

Dev

• Experienced Member
Re: B******** wind!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 11:01 »
It reminds me of that song - I get knocked down and I get up again! I can understand how frustrating it must be to lose your sowings, but if it's any consolation, lots of people haven't started sowing yet, and many early sowings get caught up by later ones. On second thoughts it probably isn't any consolation - my sympathy!

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 12:46 »
Another song: "Wind, what is it good for, absolutely nothing"

I spent Saturday afternoon in a howling gale trying so save my new polytunnel and 25 trays of seedlings...

Despite going to great lengths to stake the frame, bury the edges and gaffer tape any rub-points the wind went and exposed the one bit I missed, ripping a hole though the cover at one of the junctions... managed to tape it up and cushion the sticky out bit but the weakness is there now.

I despise wind, brings nothing but annoyance and damage.

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 12:57 »
Days like these really make you want to knock it all on the head...

Very galling, I've thought the same when I've seen whole crops of tomatoes and potatoes slowly die of blight, but the way I see it is some things are worth suffering for and we don't grow our own veg because its easy and trouble free, more like it tastes great and gives us the immense satisfaction that we grew it ourselves.

Weather, pests, diseases, theft, general failure are adversaries we face as growers, and some things are outside our control, we just have to pick ourselves up and keep going when things go wrong. Adopt, adapt and improve.

All the best.  ;)

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 13:39 »
Completely agreed DHM, the rewards always outway the negatives. It can just be frustrating at times  :nowink:

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 13:58 »
Yes, wind can be a pain in the rear end and am sorry about your seeds and new polytunnel but, as my OH often says "There's nothing that can't be sorted" so just bite the bullet and go sow some more seeds.  :dry:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 16:04 »
Yes, wind can be a pain in the rear end and am sorry about your seeds and new polytunnel but, as my OH often says "There's nothing that can't be sorted" so just bite the bullet and go sow some more seeds.  :dry:

Already done!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 16:37 »
I seem tos start every plot visit with repairs at the moment... the door of one polytunnel needed adjustment, a flapping fence panel in danger of escaping, the shade netting under our seating canopy attempting to take off into the wide not-so-blue yonder, the side of one frame blown open and hanging, the herb troughs on their side (How???)

but then when I come home with a big handul of PSB, some leeks, winter radishes and kale, it all seemed worth it after all  :D

and the wind does at least dry the grass so it can be cut
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 06:57 »
Down here we're forecast 40-50mph wind all week... great!   >:(

Got the day off work tomorrow so might pop up and check the PT out. Ive sown all the seeds I have and given the rest away so if they're all ruined I might just buy some plugs instead

Gotta love the Great British weather...

al78

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 08:50 »
Yes it has been a windy week. Frustrating if you use a bicycle for transport, it is slog slog slog in at least one direction.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 09:21 »

I might just buy some plugs instead

That is how I do it now anyway, just growing for one and with the plot re-assigned, to grow from seed isn't worth it, so plugs are the way I go.   Good luck,  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 10:05 »

I might just buy some plugs instead

That is how I do it now anyway, just growing for one and with the plot re-assigned, to grow from seed isn't worth it, so plugs are the way I go.   Good luck,  Mrs Bouquet

We got our plot quite late last year so prob 2/3 of what we grew was from plugs. No complaints, poss the way to go tbh.

By the time you've bought seeds, trays, pots, compost and taken the time and space to sow them, you may as well buy enough established plants for your needs, plant and youre away. Learning a lot in my 1st year...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 10:08 by DHM »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 10:52 »
Nothing wrong with buying in plants ;) it just limits the varieties you can grow, compared with the huge number of seed varieties available.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 13:00 »
For space purposes I start nearly everything in plugs, I normally have plenty spare to share with other plotholders. Cheaper than buying in and more variety available.

Plot94

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 13:07 »
Had a late start for work this morning as I had a physio appointment so went to the plot to have a quick check. 6 panes of glass missing out of greenhouse   :( didnt have time to do anything about it so everytime I hear a gust of wind I'm imagining another piece of glass going missing. Cant't get there till the weekend either so I think I'm going to be preparing for the worst  :wacko:

xx
Gone with the wind?

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post November 28, 2021, 16:53
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 54 queries.