Wing Clipping?

• 18 Replies

bulliesrus

Wing Clipping?
« on: January 05, 2011, 10:52 »
 ??? Hi, I am new chicken keeper, my son bought me 3 chicks for Christmas, who are now called Blondie, Goldie and Frankie.   :lol:

They are just 3 weeks old and are doing really well, they have just started to flap and fly in there bed, very funny. 

They will be going outside and will have some space to forrage, but the last thing I need is for them to dissapear over my neighbours fence, so at what age do you clip the wings and which feathers have to be done.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Jackie  :D

Carla

• Experienced Member
Re: Wing Clipping?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 11:04 »
I've haven't had to clip my girls. They're surrounded by a 7ft fence and hve never attempted to get over it...yet!! The fly up the garden to me, but only at ground level. How high are your fences Jackie?  And welcome to the world....the addictive world, of chicken keeping :) x
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

bulliesrus

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 11:54 »
 :tongue2:Hi Carla and thanks, on one side they are 5ft, and on the other side are 10ft conifers with netting about 4ft up from the bottom,.

I didnt really want to cut them so I think I will just have to wait and see how they go, as they are only 3wks old I dont have to worry just yet, I wont be putting them out until they are 6/8 wks old anyway, if that is the right time.

Regards Jackie

josh5357

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 11:58 »
Hi jackie
If you go onto you tube you will see how it is done. Easy to do and save them going into neighbours gardens.

bulliesrus

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 12:03 »
Thanks Josh, I will have a look. Jackie

Haychee

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 17:09 »
we did ours when we got them (on the advise from the hen welfare trust) it was dead easy.  They have moulted since and I dont think I'm going to bother doing the, again unless they suddenly try to make a break for freedom!!    :lol:

evie2

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 19:02 »
Our first set of hens were clipped and they flew over the neighbours 3ft fence, the ones we have now aren't, if the notion took them they'd be able to fly over the fence but they don't  ::)

Strange wee things chickens :lol:
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Kym503

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 19:56 »
I clipped the wingsx of my crested legbars as they were rather 'flighty' and did actually disappear over the 6 foot fence into the neighbours vegetable patch..

Don't forget - you only do one wing on each bird!

Kym

dennis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 20:08 »
you clip the ends of the flight feathers about 7/8 of them
i clipped the first year but now they know where the food is so i won't bother this year unless they start to get flighty

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 12:01 »
You won't be able to clip the feathers for some time yet as they will still be growing. Regardless of the height of your fence it would be advisable to clip wings. Some don't bother about flying and others do. I have a bird who used to fly up onto my head, very nice and all that but used to dig her claws in to get a grip!!, but clipped her wings and that stopped her. She has since had a full moult and unless she starts flying again I won't clip her again.

When you first put them outside if they are still small it is advisable to keep them in a covered run. Any birds of prey, Sparrowhawks and magpies would have an easy meal otherwise.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 12:20 »
If and when you eventually clip the wing feathers, only do ONE wing on each hen.  The idea is to unbalance the hen.  It doesn't stop them from trying to fly though.

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 12:26 »
one of my hens has never tried to gert onto the 6ft fence, but does enjoy standing on the coops and on the piles of paving slabs of our yet to be made patio :)
Lavender Araucanas, SS Hamburgs, White Wyandottes and Italian Quail

evie2

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 13:56 »
Ours fly up onto the coop roofs too and likes to sunbathe on top of the poots run ::)

Springlands

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 14:30 »
Our fence is about five feet high and the hens have never tried to fly over it. But they love to try and escape through the gate when we are opening and closing it.  ::) ::)

Edit - we never clip our hens wings - some how even I know that it is not supposed to hurt it seems cruel.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 14:31 by Springlands »

jobson336

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 18:32 »
just done all 40 + of mine tonight and thats a lot of wings to clip!! but a lot easier than chasing 40 odd chickens around the allotment if they got over!! Which they do (thats a 6ft fence by the way!) not many but a few do.

i waited until they were all asleep then just pick them up 1 by 1, go down to the second set of feathers, they dont seem to mind and it stops them attacking the cabbages!!
 ::)

xx
Wing Clipping

Started by chickenlicken on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 01, 2009, 14:38
by Aunt Sally
xx
wing clipping again.

Started by timtheenchanteruk on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 26, 2011, 20:54
by bramford
xx
Wing clipping

Started by babypoogle on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post January 09, 2008, 10:10
by babypoogle
xx
wing clipping

Started by Geo on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 19:51
by Geo

Page created in 0.272 seconds with 38 queries.