Weak, underweight hen

• 5 Replies

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
Weak, underweight hen
« on: June 11, 2010, 15:47 »
Can anyone help, please?

Betty has been poorly for a while, passing watery deposits, unable to form urates, so the vet thinks its a kidney problem. Baytril didn't help and she has lost a lot of weight. I decided to try to build her up by feeding high protein but then realised that wouldn't be good if it's a kidney problem so resorted to mixing in crushed cooked potato with her pellets. Ironically her poo is now more normal (despite the vet's poor prognosis), still a bit watery but some urates are now forming, despite the protein rich diet. I've been keeping her in sick bay at night but allowing her to roam with the others after she has had a morning feed so she gets to eat it all rather than fighting with the others for every morsel, but it's heavy going getting the muscle back on her - I know it won't happen in just a few days but can anyone suggest anything that would help? I'd be gutted if she got over whatever it was, only to die because she was too weak. Laying is not a problem as she hasn't laid since before Christmas.

Thanks, Anne

Casey76

Re: Weak, underweight hen
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 16:08 »
You could change to a growers or breeders pellets, even chick crumb which is higher in protein than layers :)

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 21:34 »
Ok, but if there is a kidney problem won't that be bad for her, giving the kidneys more protein to process? She's not even all that keen on pellets at the moment which is why I'm bulking them out with potato.

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 07:58 »
Potato is bad for chickens... nothing but starch and little nutritional value.  You need protein for muscle growth.

TBH I don't think a change from a 16% protein diet (layers) to a 20% protein diet (chick crumb) would do much harm.  If her kidneys are that boxed there is little you can do anyway other than ensure she is not in discomfort.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 07:59 »
is she an ex batt?
a lot of these have kidney problems owing to them being on very short rations of feed and water before they get taken away.
As she is not laying growers and chick crumb will be fine for her.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 11:03 »
Yes, Betty is one of my original ex batts from last year (so called because she was the chattiest of the group so named after Betty Boothroyd, ex speaker of the house!). I'm off to get some Aubiose for the house now so I can pick up some growers or chick crumb for her at the same time.
Thank you both for the advice, I'm just hoping she gets through this bit. BTW, urates & droppings looking more normal by the day, here's hoping she makes a full recovery...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 13:12 by Catsmuvva »

xx
Underweight hen not very well

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 16, 2008, 20:25
by Oliveview
xx
underweight chicken?

Started by Mini Ellis on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post September 15, 2009, 22:18
by Mini Ellis
question
'Underweight' chickens?

Started by Goldfinger on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 25, 2010, 17:48
by Sassy
xx
weak cockerel

Started by ollies mom on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 18, 2008, 09:16
by Bodger

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 40 queries.