Grass clippings

• 22 Replies

WG.

Grass clippings
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 09:01 »
Quote from: "jackiestagg"
I do no-dig spuds...you need to keep covering them with straw until the foliage almost meets, then a layer of grass clippings to keep them damp and dark. When ready to harvest, pull off the grass and straw and pick spuds while others dig for them

I like the sound of this, particularly since the tatties must be very clean when you harvest them.  A few questions, if I may ...

1. can I lay down the straw in advance, i.e. before winter, so that it gets wet through?

2. are slugs a problem?

3. maincrop, earlies or either?

Trillium

Grass clippings
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2007, 20:24 »
WG, I originally used grass clippings on green peppers, strawberries and beans, and they were a gross disappointment. Didn't have enough at the time to do other crops, and I'm quite happy about that.

As for your tatties, WG, I've used straw right on top of the ground and want it to get damp/wet so it stays there rather than blows around. Putting grass clippings on top of that isn't a problem at all, it's just directly mulching with fresh clippings I've always found a problem. I've never found slugs a problem with mulch and tatties as the tuber is too tough for them to bother with and the leaves are a bit too fuzzy, which they don't care for.

As for earlies & lates, can't help you there as we just do a maincrop here and 'steal' a few earlies.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Grass clippings
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2007, 20:34 »
I did no dig spuds last year putting them under terram, it was great for not digging them up!!!, but there were more marks on them, slugs possibly!!!!  and I hadn't mulched around the holes where the haulms were grwing, so got a few green ones!!!

purplebat

Grass clippings
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2007, 00:15 »
I do wish I had read this earlier; I've just spent the best part of the afternoon trying to break through the concrete that the lottie has become to earth my spuds up, "sigh" never mind I'm sure my back will thank me one day  :lol:
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Grass clippings
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2007, 15:53 »
I dug trenches too this year purple!  OH kept telling me that the terram was no good (still ate the spuds though didn't he???!!!)  then proceeded to tell me the first row was too deep, the 2nd row wasn't deep enough, after that I told him to go find something moe constructive to do instead of moaning at me!  Now he keeps asking me why I've only got 2 cabbage plants in the greenhouse, if he looked, he see the other trays that have different varieties in.  The 2 biggest plants are the only ones to survive from the very first sowing, of which I killed most of them becasue they were too hot!!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Grass clippings
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2007, 18:08 »
I think you need to gaffa tape him to a tree trunk grannie, until he's had time to reflect upon his people skills  :wink:

Trillium

Grass clippings
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2007, 20:31 »
Grannieannie, are you absolutely absolutely sure he recovered from that long ago pick axe incident?  :lol:  Sounds like some lingering symptoms still emerging  :lol:

purplebat

Grass clippings
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2007, 21:22 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
I dug trenches too this year purple!  OH kept telling me that the terram was no good (still ate the spuds though didn't he???!!!)  then proceeded to tell me the first row was too deep, the 2nd row wasn't deep enough, after that I told him to go find something moe constructive to do instead of moaning at me!  Now he keeps asking me why I've only got 2 cabbage plants in the greenhouse, if he looked, he see the other trays that have different varieties in.  The 2 biggest plants are the only ones to survive from the very first sowing, of which I killed most of them becasue they were too hot!!!

I think I'd down tools and tell him to do it his blooming self! mind you that would probably be tempting fate going by his recent escapades  :lol:

xx
grass clippings....

Started by chopkins1313 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 16, 2010, 20:49
by rock_chick
xx
Using grass clippings as a mulch

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 01, 2020, 11:53
by Yorkie
xx
composting grass clippings.

Started by kentishgal on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 12, 2012, 22:33
by compostqueen
xx
No dig potatoes using grass clippings

Started by vikingraider on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 27, 2024, 22:35
by Snow

Page created in 0.277 seconds with 28 queries.