Egg shapes????

• 3 Replies

Kathie

• Experienced Member
Egg shapes????
« on: November 28, 2010, 23:01 »
Just had a visit from a farming friend who is also a hen keeper.  His hens have stopped laying so as he left we gave him a few of our eggs.  He pointed to the difference in shape(laid by the same hen)  and said that he had been told that the longer eggs, as opposed to the rounder shapes are bound to be cockerals rather than hens if they are fertile ... any opinions on this theory??
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Egg shapes????
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 07:49 »
never heard of that - all I know is I get a right assorted load of eggs. My silkie crosses though all lay eggs with a pointy end.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 08:16 »
Will do a little research online to see if there is any credence to it, but many of the farmers have their own ways which they rely on through family experiences, just wanted to run this by everyone

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 08:25 »
I have heard and read in one of my old books that with cockerels you get what is known as pullet throwers (they will produce more hen chicks than cockerels), how you tell the difference though I don't know  ::)

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 40 queries.