Oh dear... so wrong, but the chooks didnt care one bit!!

• 19 Replies

hillfooter

Re: Oh dear... so wrong, but the chooks didnt care one bit!!
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 12:31 »
I believe that a little bit of protein is quite good for them.

Chickens are omnivores so they do eat meat however it's not a good idea to regularly do this as chickens can become over weight which has dire health risks for them.  Even chickens which may not appear over weight can suffer from too much fat and a condition known as fatty liver syndrome.  A very ocassional treat is acceptable if you must but corn is better.

Chx are natural grazers and should be fed on low energy density feed for a healthy life not just physical either.  Chx fed on protein and fat scavenge less and develop behavioural problems like feather pecking due to lower activity and boredom.
HF
Truth through science.

NormandyMary

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 18:35 »
My girls come to the kitchen door virtually the same time every night for their "treat". They do wander in the kitchen if I leave the door open, but so far they havent attacked my cat's food, probably because they only have dried.
This is how stupid Ive become, when I see the girls coming down from the field for their treat, I panic if I havent got anything nice for them. Sometimes, they have to make do with a slice of wholemeal bread!

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 19:46 »
Haha, I'm exactly the same...I HAVE to find them something tasty each day...probably why they wont eat their layers pellets unless under much duress :)
They've had their run moved now, they've got a quarter of the garden to themselves, they were wrecking the garden and pooing everywhere, and the flies were becoming an issue, so they've had to go semi-free range :(  Feel very guilty, but they'll soon adjust, I hope. I'll just get them some meal worms tomorrow...to make me feel better about it  ::)
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 12:29 »

...They are very sneaky and quiet when they are up to no good.  Not as dumb as they look sometimes  ;)  :lol:

Well as much as I hate to admit it, my chickens mustn't be very bright!  :lol: We have a rule that they are not allowed on the deck outside our French doors and they get chased off if they are ever seen there.  This morning I heard a tap-tap-tap on the glass and sure enough there was a bunch of chickens looking in.  If you're going to be naughty, at least don't tap on the glass to draw attention to yourself!  ::)

evie2

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 16:19 »
Our hens are always stealing the cat food and the rabbit food, doesn't seem to do them any harm :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

xx
Oh dear

Started by vanessa.xx on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post September 10, 2011, 17:34
by bantam novice
sad
oh dear

Started by barley on Chicken Chat

11 Replies
Last post March 12, 2014, 09:14
by snowdrops
xx
Dear Georgie

Started by evie2 on Chicken Chat

14 Replies
Last post September 19, 2011, 00:19
by wildwitchy
xx
Winter Care for Poultry article

Started by Trillium on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post November 29, 2013, 20:08
by Trillium

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 39 queries.