Dare I mention the S word?!.....

• 9 Replies

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
Dare I mention the S word?!.....
« on: May 12, 2013, 20:21 »
I was wondering what methods of slug control people used?  We used pellets last year but it was a nightmare with the kids on the plot and we used so many but still had loads of the blighters. 
We were thinking of beer traps this year and as there isn't alot else going on at the mo thought I could start burying pots and cut off bottles etc around our plot.  Where is the best place to put them? How many?
Does anyone have any other suggestions?  I did rather enjoy my nightly 'slug hurling'. I found it very therapeutic and a great stress reliever but not very effective in the greater scheme of things!

Cheers for any advice!  :)

Ema

Re: Dare I mention the S word?!.....
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 20:49 »
I'm also thinking about slug traps this yet. I've put a few pellets down this year but they look yuck

Springlands

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 20:53 »
I would normally use beer traps and they are quite effective. I found it was best not to place them too close to the crops as they slugs would then bypass the trap on the way to the plants - so perhaps between the rows of crops as regular intervals. Make sure that the lid of what ever container is level with the soil so the slugs can fall in and that the beer is below the level of the container. I usually used cut off drinks bottles or old plastic drinks cups. The worst bit is disposing of the bodies.

Manteiga

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 21:12 »
I have a large white piece of plastic (about 1.5m diameter) on my plot which when I was going to remove it, had about 10 slow worms under it. So now it is just weighted down with a couple of bricks and some general rubble and decomposing material underneath it. I don't seem to have a slug problem and perhaps the two are related.

seaside

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 21:45 »
Growing food is hard enough as it is without letting slugs run riot.
I use no chemical fertilizers or pesticides, no machines, nothing nasty at all on my plot apart from slug pellets... they are my sin, if you like. Three years in and I've used half a bottle of pellets. I haven't ever found anything else to work well enough. I'm a veggie but I'm no Jane. I do spray in the grennhouse for greenfly etc with soapy water, and then use water jets once the initial hordes are under control. I also believe lots of regular hoeing helps and renders the blighters vulnerable to predators.
Judicious use, one slug pellet per seedling... not a massive sprinkling everywhere as some do, that seems a bit dodgy to me. The pellets are supposed to be animal friendly whatever that may mean, but our house cat hasn't suffered from their use over the years.
I don't fancy the idea of beer traps or the like, and I also find the squishing of caterpillars a problem, so again tend to use the watering process as a pesticide operation.
Much of the solution is down to eradicating their hiding places, and if I see them out in the open they get the heave ho. I used to grow in a North walled garden, they were everywhere. The allotment is heaven in comparison. They're welcome to the odd munch, but not on the seedlings.
Interesting comments from Manteiga above.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 21:56 by seaside »

al78

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 22:10 »
I would normally use beer traps and they are quite effective. I found it was best not to place them too close to the crops as they slugs would then bypass the trap on the way to the plants - so perhaps between the rows of crops as regular intervals. Make sure that the lid of what ever container is level with the soil so the slugs can fall in and that the beer is below the level of the container. I usually used cut off drinks bottles or old plastic drinks cups. The worst bit is disposing of the bodies.

If you use beer traps I would advise not sinking the container level with the soil as otherwise you can drown beneficial insects like ground beetles. If you have the lip of the container  an inch or so above soil level other insects don't fall in and the slugs are quite happy to climb up the side of the container to get to the beer.

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 03:29 »
Thanks for info!  We may try a combination approach, I think.  Thanks for advice on placing of the traps Springlands - you confirmed what I thought.  What do you do with the dead 'uns?!  I have been pondering over that!
Interesting you should suggest a more judicious use of pellets, Seaside.  I had a conversation with an elderly chap that I visit as part of my job, he still grows veggies on a small but VERY productive area within the gardens of the block of flats he lives at.  He said that when you start to use slug pellets you get into a vicious circle, because the slugs LIKE the pellets, so come and eat them, so you get more slugs, so you put down more pellets and so on.....
I haven't seen any slow worms yet - we've had some tarp down on an area but none under there  :(.  We do have a frog under shed and a small pond to encourage more so they can come and feast on the slugs.
I was reading on here about a garlic concoction you make up to add to watering can when watering plants as slugs hate garlic.  Also crushed egg shells etc.
I think we will be more 'active' in our slug war this year rather than just shaking a load of pellets all over the place.  Thanks again for taking the time to reply.  Much appreciated!

Springlands

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 06:45 »
The dead slugs are put into the main rubbish bin. Everyone is different but I just do not like the pellets especially as we have lots of birds in the garden. It is good that you have some frogs - they do like slugs. And you could continue the nightly slug patrol especially after rain.  There are also spray on nematodes for slugs but they are expensive.

Chrysalis

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 20:54 »
I'm trying nematodes this year.  It is expensive, but so far no slug problem  :)

I've gone for three sessions of them.  I get them posted at six weekly intervals so I don't have to remember when to do it. It's easy to manage - you just mix up the stuff that's sent in water and water the beds with it. Job done.  Each package does up to 100sq.feet. and you have to divide it into eight portions, as one portion is about right for one standard watering can.  Simples!

Second lot arrived last weekend.  Got a use by date on, too. Just keep in the sealed pack in the fridge.  ;)

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 20:59 »
Where did you order them from?  I did have a look at nematodes but didn't see the six weekly thing.  Sounds good as I share a plot with two friends so it is easy to lose track of who is doing what and when  ::)

xx
dare i say it but i could do with some rain.

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 16, 2014, 19:50
by rowan57
xx
dare I manure this year?

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 17:55
by PinkTequila
xx
Dare I try to straighten up a Medlar Tree?

Started by Hectare on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 23, 2012, 22:58
by Hectare
xx
New potatoes. How early dare I try to plant them.

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 02, 2019, 22:32
by al78

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 35 queries.