• 10 Replies

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
  • ooo i make a good lookin Zombie...
    • Fanciful Faces
soft shells and calcium tablets
« on: April 17, 2009, 18:31 »
hiya everyone,

one of my girlies is laying soft shelled eggs. I have grit and sand with oyster shell down (went and found some of the sand after seeing a post on here), they are getting cod liver oil and poultry spice, but still getting soft shells so thought i would give the calcium tablets a go...problem being I am not sure which of my chooks it is, and with them being down on the lottie its going to be a bit difficult to tell. I have checked around their rears and there are no tell tale signs.

so.....do i treat them all?? there are four of them in there..5 including the cockrel ( he is still here...but only just...keeps on having a go at my feet the little so and so..) I am assuming a calcium boost wont do any harm to the other girlies that are laying well...an eighth of a tablet each isnt it? best bet to crush half a tablet, split into four and then add to some cat food?? or try and get the eighth down the chooks throat whole sale??

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: soft shells and calcium tablets
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 18:34 »
Why tablets ?

Limestone flour is good and very much cheaper.  It's sold for foals at horsey supply shops.

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
    • Fanciful Faces
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 18:38 »
TBH it was the first thing i thought of, and as was in town today figured i would get something now and treat asap as i know its not very comfortable for them...

can order the flour online but dont think i have anywhere "horsey" near me.. 

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 18:41 »
you could just bake their egg shells, crush and add to their pellets. calcium tabs would only be needed in an emergency. A few soft shelled eggs is OK, if you have cut out treats,corn etc they will gradually have enough calcium naturally over a few weeks.

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
    • Fanciful Faces
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 18:45 »
I have been selling all the eggs i have at the mo so havent even got any shells to bake... I will have to order some limestone four then and just wait for that to arrive...she has been laying them for a little while now... had hoped that things would settle down again as its not the first time it has happened...but like you said after a little bit all seemed well...but not so far this time... and really didnt want to prolong things too much longer... will take a mooch around online and see what i can find...whats a good price?? obviously it depends on how much you get..

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 18:57 »
If you've already got the calcium tablets the go ahead with those !

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
    • Fanciful Faces
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 19:14 »
got them but easy enough to take them back if the limestone flour is better for the chooks... want to do whats best...

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
    • Fanciful Faces
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 19:42 »
what are the ratios of the limestone flour please... been looking on the web and found a couple of suppliers...on the auction site...and wondering how much i will need... and stupid question most likely, but if i get the larger container, and keep it in for next time (cos there is bound to be one!!) does it have a use by date??

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 20:59 »
I just sprinkle some on their pellets if the shells are getting a little thinner than usual.

At a guess about a desertspoon full to about a kilo of pellets.  Give it a shake up every day to mix it again.

Rubellite

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 21:15 »
I'm also having soft shells from my cuckoo maran. She has been laying for over three weeks and we have had a real assortment of eggs from her. Big double yolkers, a tiny wind egg, small regular eggs (all with good shells), then a couple of eggs that looked like the grit had settled in the shell, like sandpaper, all interspersed with soft shells. I don't understand how one day can be fine then another soft shelled? I don't vary their diet that much on a daily basis and the other girls are all fine.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 21:31 »
She's practicing  ::)  She'll settle down (hopefully)

xx
Rennie Update- still worried- still soft eggs- calcium tablets where?

Started by shiatsusu on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 23, 2009, 17:52
by shiatsusu
xx
Soft egg shells

Started by sorrel on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 08, 2007, 19:04
by muntjac
xx
Soft shells (again)

Started by BarnBrian on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 31, 2008, 11:02
by Njal
xx
soft shells

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 22, 2013, 13:30
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 36 queries.