Should poorly chicken be PTS?

• 17 Replies

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
Should poorly chicken be PTS?
« on: August 25, 2011, 15:17 »
Poorly chicken has been unwell for a week now and she is deteriorating each day.  When she tried to drink this morning she kept twitching her head as though she was having a fit - but she wasnt.  Do I just let her pass away by herself or should I have her put down?  I really dont know what to do.  :(  Please advice me someone.

orchardlady

Re: Should poorly chicken be PTS?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 17:11 »
Hello Christy Rose.

You are asking the impossible question. Non of us can make this decision for you but I can offer you my honest thoughts on what I do.

When I have a hen that has reached a stage that her quality of life is no longer of a fair standard I will dispatch her. I feel it is the last service as her carer I can provide for her. It is done swiftly.
If you do chose this course please ensure you do the dead well out sight of the other hens as they will become distressed.

You might find it of help to make a double list of pros and cons. With the headings of. 'Quality of life' and 'Current distress'. Or even more simple can and can't do.

You can reassure yourself that you have given you hen a fair crack of the whip to see if she would recover, also that she has had a varied and interesting life in your care.

Chickens can become very much part of your family and life and although I keep roughly 40 hens or so I still love them all. However they sit in the in between level of affection for me. They are not quite pets and they are not quite production animals.

Think about your choices and I'm sure the answer will come. I'm also quite sure there will be others here that can offer you ideas and thoughts.

Orchardlady.

JACDORE

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 21:18 »
I'm different as in they'd go to the vets.  Had many a chook been vets wen i thought it was her last days and have come back to lovely health for a good few months more or more.  I also take them to the vets to have them PTS.  I think you'll know in your heart if the time is right for seeing her on her way which ever way you choose.  Think it depends on how many you keep on how close you get to them.
2 rottys 4 cats, 2 gecko's, 2 beardies, 2 hamsters, 1 guinea pig, 1 rabbit, 12 various fish, 6 hens, 1 hubby, (lol)

daisy1990

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 22:01 »
I agree that it is a personal choice, but if you are convinced (through experience or advise) that the hen wont get better, then ask yourself if the hen is unhappy.  If the hen is unable to eat and drink, stand properly, is being bullied by others who see her weakness or is twitching as you describe, the kindest thing is to have her put to sleep.  I have thankfully never had to do this for a hen, but have taken several dogs (my own and a close friends) to the vets when the time has come.  Our vet will always wait for owners to raise the question of euthanasia as he believes it should be the owner that comes to their own conclusion (obviously with help and support) rather than the vet suggesting it, as this can lead to owners feeling they have been persuaded to do something that they may not have chosen.

good luck with your decision
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 20:51 »
I dont think I could do the deed myself so I'd have to take her to the vets.  I've been out all afternoon and when I got back I went to check on her and found her in the nest box with her head tucked under her feathers (very unlike her).  Thought she'd gone but then could see she was breathing so I put my hand on her to stroke her and her head popped out but she didnt get up.  I'll see how she is in the morning.  This morning she was half heartidly scratching around so I thought at least she was still a little interested in things.  I just wish I knew what was wrong with her. 
Thanks for all your advice. 

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 20:55 »
No animal should be allowed to suffer in my opinion - they should be treated or put to sleep.

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 21:10 »
Thats what I wanted to know really.  The fact that she is fluffed up and not behaving like she used to - does this mean shes in pain or just feeling 'off'.  The vet couldnt find anything wrong with her - but he did say she might have a tumour that he couldn't feel yet.  I would love it if she got better but I dont know how to make her better as I dont know why she is behaving like this. 

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 21:13 »
I will ring the vets in the morning.  Its for the best.  :-(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 21:20 »
  The fact that she is fluffed up and not behaving like she used to - does this mean shes in pain or just feeling 'off'.  

Chickens, like many animals, only show that the are ill when the are VERY ill and have given up.  If they are fluffed up, very sleepy not moving about much, not eating and drinking much, they are feeling very ill and probably in considerable pain.

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 21:44 »
I didnt know what to do.  I've had another link running all week and nobody suggested having her put to sleep and the vet couldnt find anything wrong with her.  I suppose I'd hoped she'd pick up again.  This is the first time I've had a chicken thats been ill for this long.  I will ring the vet tomorrow.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 21:50 »
Is it a vet that knows much about poultry ?

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 22:13 »
When I took the chicken to the vets last week I did ask to see a vet that knew alot about chickens.  When I saw the vet I did ask alot of questions and he said he kept chickens himself and he did seem to be quite knowledgable. 

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 22:23 »
You vet seems fine then.  Trust what he says.  They can tell if the bird is in pain by their minute reactions when the palpate their abdomen or wherever the problem is.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 06:48 »
as I said on your other thread the vet was quite correct in their diagnosis was not a crop problem.
Staffies are softer than you think.

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 21:34 »
Sadly, today,  Poorly Chicken had to be put down.  She sort of bucked up over the weekend and ate a few worms and had some crumbs and tomato but this morning she seemed to deteriorate.  When the vet felt her abdomen he said she flinched so he thought she did have a tumour.  RIP Poorly Chicken xxxx

xx
poorly chicken, I think.

Started by crowndale on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 15, 2012, 16:17
by crowndale
xx
Poorly chicken - help please.

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2012, 22:48
by ANHBUC
xx
Poorly Chicken - Help Please

Started by Scrumptious on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 14, 2011, 23:53
by Lindeggs
xx
Poorly chicken

Started by chuckmum on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 17:11
by chuckmum

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 39 queries.