Egg shells in the garden

• 9 Replies

jaws

Egg shells in the garden
« on: March 24, 2012, 08:56 »
Something my mum used to do was to bake egg shells in the bottom of her oven then crush them up and throw them in the garden. Since I have been keeping hens I have a lot of egg shells and have started doing the same - just because my mum did it. Am I doing good, harm or just wasting my time?
Thanks
Joan ???

Nikkithefoot

Re: Egg shells in the garden
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 09:12 »
I don't bother baking them, but crush them and put them in the compost heap with everything else. (Not I hasten to add anything cooked)
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Dopey113

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 09:43 »
If you bake them, you can feed them back to the chickens, they love them,
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 10:41 »
Egg shells are about 95% calcium carbonate (lime) and therefore can be used in exactly the same way (and with the same caution when it comes to lime-hating plants.)

(The other 5% is trace elements, including magnesium, and protein which helps holds the shell together - baking the shells destroys the protein and avoids any potential risk of attracting unwanted attention from animals, although I don't know how much of a problem that is in practice.)

Some members have tried using crushed egg shells as a slug/snail barrier, but I'll have to leave them to comment about its effectiveness because I've not tried it.  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mattwragg94

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 11:24 »
ive used crushed egg shells to prevent slugs and TBH it didnt have much effect.

lmpd

• Experienced Member
  • peas & love
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 11:59 »
I do the same to prevent against slugs and it seems quite effective..............just got to find something similar that works against whitefly!!! ::) ::) ::)

AnneB

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 13:35 »
I put crushed up eggshells beneath the young plants when I plant out brassicas.   They all seems to do quite well on it.  I don't bother baking them though.

I also put them in the compost.

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 14:26 »
I still use crushed egg shells around my young seedlings. Not sure how great it really works but I don't seem to have problems.

Since the half shells don't break down in the compost bin, it's easier to just rinse out the fresh shells, let them dry out (I chuck all mine in a carrier bag) and then crush the lot and sprinkle them around the garden. Eventually they get turned under and probably break down. They're in such small pieces by now it's hard to tell, but it's a better use of the shells than paying to bin them.

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 22:07 »
Now I was always told that you should put a crushed egg shell in the hole you plant tomatoes in to help prevent blossom end rot as this in some part can be caused by calcum deficiancy , as well as irregular watering  ;)
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 23:13 »
This calcium form would not break down quickly to be of help to the tomato. The soil should have some sort of powdered additive in place, or sometimes its more a matter of very regular watering that will prevent blossom end rot.

xx
Nut shells???

Started by lmpd on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 02, 2012, 18:33
by Trillium
xx
Sea shells

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 01, 2018, 22:46
by Aunt Sally
xx
Egg shells

Started by rockyracoon on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 02, 2010, 12:07
by rockyracoon
xx
egg shells for slugs?

Started by mickwood on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 10:06
by Patricia

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 39 queries.