Swiss chard

• 35 Replies

Bernard

• Experienced Member
Swiss chard
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2007, 17:38 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
a very subtle flavour, kind of like eggplant and courgette, which need flavourings to make them enjoyable.

Now we are getting to the heart of it! Eggplant I threw out years ago. Courgette I do use but only to add bulk. Squashes are much better,  but we can't get many of them because we are blighted by the EEC who want us to buy tasteless French courgettes. Spinach is all right for Popeye, but he is hooked on it. Fried cabbage is the green I prefer.

Have to stop now, family is queueing for food.

Annie

Swiss chard
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2007, 23:24 »
Bernard, chard is really a very subtle flavour, kind of like eggplant and courgette, which need flavourings to make them enjoyable. I find garlic definitely helps chard. Supposedly the white chard has the most flavour, [Quote Trillium]

Aubergine and courgette don`t necessarily need other flavour to make them enjoyable,just try them dried,dipped in seasoned flour and fried until chrisp,and of course they both work well in curries!!
My bro`also says that the white chard has a better flavour,but like Trillium I go for a bit of added attractiveness.

I have to admit to adding courgettes as bulk but that`s later in the season when they occur in every meal in some guise or other!

Bernard

• Experienced Member
Swiss chard
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2007, 09:47 »
I suppose the main point is 'variety is the spice of life'.

brinylon

Swiss chard
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2007, 13:16 »
Swiss chard and potato fritata - yum!
Was gonna post on recipes, but... use wide heavy pan:
6 - 8 Spuds,6 eggs,big bunch of chard,onions,garlic,sage (fresh).
Fry onions then garlic while par boiling spuds (don't let them break). Add chard stalks to onions, then after 2 mins add leaves. Add spuds, stir through then add sage with sage beaten in.
Leave for 10 mins on low heat. Put under grill then add cheese (I did goats last night). Ready when golden.

I added some of my courgettes last night, with the onions. With lotty salad I'm in heaven!

The most colourful food you can make.

yummy

Swiss chard
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2007, 17:54 »
Well looks like I will be waiting an extra 5 weeks to taste any of this stuff. A relative visited our plot this morning and must have thought that my chard was a weed. It has all gone and been replaced with Chysanthemums (however you spell it). Can I eat those in a fritatta?  :roll:

Bernard

• Experienced Member
Swiss chard
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2007, 18:35 »
Quote from: "yummy"
It has all gone and been replaced with Chysanthemums (however you spell it). Can I eat those in a fritatta? quote]
Man - and woman - does not thrive by bread alone. The aesthetic value will nurture your soul.

xx
Swiss Chard

Started by rockyracoon on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 30, 2010, 13:07
by Paul Plots
xx
Swiss chard

Started by The Golden Heap on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 14, 2012, 17:18
by The Golden Heap
xx
Swiss chard

Started by grenhouse on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 01, 2009, 07:15
by sunshineband
xx
Swiss Chard

Started by rockyracoon on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 11, 2010, 16:36
by Rangerkris

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 38 queries.