Wintering over?

• 9 Replies

Lula

Wintering over?
« on: October 04, 2009, 15:16 »
Hello,
This site looks great and I can tell it will be a valuable lifeline to me as a beginner.
If anyone could help with a quandry I already have, I'd be really grateful.

This is my second go at taking on a plot - after the first was a ready made disaster zone! I've recently had the new plot cleared and ploughed. The advice I'm receiving on the allotment from some is to let it winter over and deal with it in spring, while others are saying get it rotavatored now...
What to do?? Has anyone any further advice.
I'd be very grateful as I'm raring to go but want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. Thanks in advance :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Wintering over?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 15:19 »
Hi and Welcome to the site, Lula

First thing to ask is whether there are perennial weeds on your plot - bindweed, docks, marestail, etc.  If there are, then do not rotavate until they are out, or you will multiply them.

It is usual to roughly dig the plot before winter, but I'm not too sure about rotavating.  Hopefully someone else will be along soon  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Michael D

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 16:55 »
Hi   
     I   dig over in winter  and weed,   and try and  get the beds ready  for spring,   the ones  without overwinter  crops in.    I   do   it by hand   it is hard   but you`ll   see the differance    later  on.    If you weed by  hand   it all comes out,   if you chop it,   it comes back  with  its  friend.    Michael

gypsy

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 18:51 »
I got my plot in october, I gradually hand weeded it over the winter, it took hours and hours but it was ready for planting in spring. If you leave it until spring you will miss a lot of growing time. Good luck. CC
Catherine

Lula

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 20:01 »
Hi all,
Thanks for your helpful replies so far.
The plot was in a state of desperate overgrowth in July so it was strimmed down and treated twice with agricultural weedkiller which seemed to blast just about everything. That was when it was ploughed...and that's where I'm up to so far.
Can't wait to get stuck in but, after the last plot - which wasn't treated and then rotavatored - I don't want to get into another nightmare with uncontrolable weeds.
Thanks for taking time to reply. :)

Ivah

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 08:49 »
It depends on its history. It sounds to me as though it could be quite shallow and rotavating won't help that. I know it's unfashionable but starting with a deep dig and getting some organic matter down into it would be a good Winter project. Leave the surface rough to be frosted and if it is still lumpy in the Spring lightly rotavate to improve the surface but not bring the organic matter back up.
'Nullius in verba' - 'Take nobody's word for it'

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 10:07 »
If it is ploughed then I would leave it alone until Spring. It will have been turned over to about 12 inches which is more than you would normally do with a spade. If you rotovate now you may bring up weeds that were buried and the soil will lay flat and wet for the Winter.

If it is heavy soil the winter weather will break it down. You should not go on it until it starts to dry.  Just touch the surface with a fork or rotovator, maybe just a rake on some soils. Do not deep cultivate or you will bring up unweathered soil that will dry like bricks.

If it is light soil the weather will not have had as much effect. No need to cultivate deeply but you will have to do enough to make a seedbed.

Should weeds show their head in the Spring spray them with glyphosate before you cultivate.

I would not bother about organic matter until next season when you know more about the soil and the weeds you have.

Lula

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 11:20 »
Thanks for all your helpful advice. Like Salmo says, if its had a 12" turnover its probably wise to let Mother Nature do her thing and take it from there.
I'm looking forward to the spring already... :)

Elcie

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 13:57 »
You could grow something over winter in some of the areas though.  This would be a good motivator and keep you interested in the plot.

noshed

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 14:34 »
I would spread some rotted manure or compost over the top and leave it until spring. By then it is surprising how much the worms will have taken down into the soil. Don't manure bits you're looking to put carrots in.
Spend the rest of the time building compost heaps and cold frames out of old pallets. Lovely winter jobs.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

xx
over wintering veg

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 08, 2012, 18:31
by Grubbypaws
xx
Over-wintering

Started by NorfolkVeg on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 07, 2011, 21:17
by mumofstig
xx
wintering cucamelons

Started by oddjob5 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 27, 2016, 14:04
by oddjob5
xx
Over-wintering vegetables

Started by Code Red on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 16:15
by strangerachael

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 34 queries.