Merry Tiller - Clinton Engine Query

• 3 Replies

ex-cavator

Merry Tiller - Clinton Engine Query
« on: January 16, 2011, 18:38 »
Following the sad demise of my Mountfield M1, with the tie bar sheared off within the worm gear casing, which I am currently unable to fix, I bought a cheap early Wolseley Merry Tiller on Ebay to tide me over.

It's an early model (estimate early '60s), serial number P13634, with a Clinton engine. I've been unable to find out much about it but assume the 'P' refers to 'Professional', and therefore the Clinton engine is a 3 1/4 HP. If anyone can tell me more I'd be grateful.

I've not got it running yet, though the seller assured me it would, but there seems to be something 'not quite right' with the throttle linkage. If anybody has a similar model & can perhaps send a piccy, or perhaps has the appropriate service manual that might show it in detail, that would be appreciated  :)

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
Re: Merry Tiller - Clinton Engine Query
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 20:51 »
Hello ex-cavator
The professional is a fairly rare beast and I have never had one. I suspect yours is a late model, they started at serial number MTP 5,000 in 1961 and restarted with just the P prefix in the mid 1960s. The Professional was dropped circa 1976 which may be when Clinton ceased trading.  I do have an air vane governed Clinton engine and this has the carb butterfly lever attached to the governor flap by a wire link. A spring is also attached to the butterfly lever at one end and to an arm on a sliding square section rod at the other. Another arm on the rod sticks out for the throttle cable to attach to. Other Clintons have a mechanical governor and I have a drawing somewhere of the carb links for this type.
R Tallentire

ex-cavator

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 22:44 »
A spring is also attached to the butterfly lever at one end and to an arm on a sliding square section rod at the other. Another arm on the rod sticks out for the throttle cable to attach to.

RT - many thanks for your reply. The above description certainly fits the bill - I couldn't have described it better myself. But as for the butterfly lever attached to the governor by a wire link? - there's another spring on the front of the butterfly lever (closest to the inlet manifold) that doesn't seem to attach to anything - although the exhaust is missing, having completely rotted away - and I can't figure out what else it might attach to. Can you advise? Any idea where I might get a replacement exhaust for this model? I've been scanning Ebay but so far without success, though I don't suppose an exhaust is critical - I can always use earplugs  :D

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 21:02 »
I have had another look at my Clinton engine today, and I  don’t think I can add anything to the previous explanation. I have found a rather poor drawing in the instruction book so will post it up. There is only one spring attached to the butterfly lever and this spring fastens to the arm on the sliding bar.
My exhaust port is tapped ˝” NPT (almost BSP) so an exhaust for a 3hp Briggs & Stratton engine will fit. I would go for the cylindrical type with a 45 degree BSP pipe elbow between port and silencer to stop hot gasses blowing onto the handles and throttle cable.
P12.jpg

xx
non starting merry tiller 1978 white engine curvy handle engine model 130282

Started by T Howell on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post August 04, 2014, 11:24
by T Howell
clip
Help identifying engine Merry Tiller

Started by G_and_E on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post June 21, 2023, 14:00
by G_and_E
xx
Wolseley Merry Tiller engine

Started by John Wrigg on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post July 14, 2021, 16:29
by John Wrigg
xx
Merry Tiller Engine Problems

Started by boardy on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post May 12, 2013, 19:28
by globetrotter

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 38 queries.