Colds in chickens...

• 3 Replies

JackieV

Colds in chickens...
« on: February 27, 2010, 23:48 »
Just found this website - glad to see I'm not alone in being totally in love with all of my girls!
Two of them (one Dorking and one ex-battery) have got colds at the moment. Neither of them have snotty noses or any discharge, but both sneeze and snuffle a fair bit. They are still both laying and are as perky as ever. Started feeding the whole gang (there are 23 of them altogether!) garlic this week. Maybe I should add some poultry spice to their pellets? Or cider apply vinegar to their water? Or should I take them to the vet? Any help appreciated - thanks.

dizzylizzie

Re: Colds in chickens...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 09:09 »
Hi, try garlic granuals in their water, but watch them closely. Sniffles can spread very quickly to the rest of your flock, if they get ill in anyway i would pop the to the vets for some antibiotics :D

Rubellite

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 11:52 »
.......and make sure their bedding isn't damp and their house is well ventilated ;)

JackieV

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 13:52 »
Thanks both for that advice. Their houses are like luxury hotels and bedding is always dry with no draughts coming in at night. Bought some poultry spice & started adding that to their pellets and have been feeding them garlic too. Don't want to speak too soon but....... I haven't heard a sneeze or snuffle since Sunday (hurray!!!) so maybe just those extra vitamins (coupled with this lovely bit of sunshine!) has made them feel better???? Let's hope so.
I had 16 eggs yesterday! The most ever so far!!!!! Lovely.
Anyone for an omelette??!
Jac

xx
Can Chickens Catch Colds?

Started by scampy on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 23, 2008, 22:54
by Poolfield2
xx
chickens with colds - any advice?

Started by haychickilady on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 01, 2009, 21:13
by haychickilady
xx
Do chickens get colds? How to treat?

Started by andyajsb on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 08:56
by joyfull
xx
Can Chickens Catch Colds from Humans?

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 12, 2010, 10:14
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 39 queries.