Can Chickens Catch Colds?

• 6 Replies

scampy

« on: June 23, 2008, 16:11 »
One of my hens stayed out in the rain all day on saturday, despite number of times i sent her inside.  Today she sounds more like a duck than a chicken and is making a noise similar to a sneeze.    Other than how she sounds she is eating and is active.  Could she have a cold and what should I do?

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 16:29 »
Don't know if chickens can catch cold but if they can I assume the treatment depends on the gender. If its a hen, just leave her to get on with it, she'll be fine. If its a cockerel it will need bringing indoors for immediate bed rest, hand feeding and early admission to intensive care if indicated, cockerel man 'flu can be fatal!!!  :wink:

OK, I'm sorry, only joking before all the men complain :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 16:42 »
I remember reading in one of my books about chickens and it said "remember chickens can catch colds!"  I have remembered but not what to do!!!!!!!!! I will look it up when I get home.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 17:19 »
They can catch human colds from humans with a cold.  Not sure rain would do it  though !

If she's not better in a few days or any of the others sart sneezing the ask again for advice.

Jellyhead

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 20:48 »
My vet gave me some tablets for Handsome when he got a cold :shock: It wouldnt go by itself and I thought he was getting a respiratory problem :roll: tablets sorted it in 2 days. I would tell you the name of the stuff but in the depths of Jellywood today and also it was a French medicine anyway :oops:  :lol:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 22:43 »
Hi Scampy, chickens are prone to respiratory problems which is why good husbandry and hygiene is very important. (They dont have the same physiology as mammals)

Chickens often though just stand out in the rain and get soaked, making us feel bad at how miserable they look with a perfectly dry henhouse next to them!! :oops:  :oops:

Yes, chickens can catch snuffles if they are a little run down due to stress,change in diet,home etc. In most cases though a few sneezes isnt something to worry about. I like to add crushed garlic cloves and apple cider vinegar if the chooks need a little boost or going through/been through some stress.

Symptoms to watch out for are: any discharge from eyes, beak, nostrils persistant sneezing or coughing. Breathing with beak open, looks like they are panting, rattle in the chest and combined with being generally listless and off food. Dropping also would look abnormal in this cause loose and possibly greenish. If thes symtoms is persist would indicate that there is an infection which would need antibiotics prescribed by a vet.

Poolfield2

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 22:54 »
Foxy, if you give garlic to chooks doesn't it make the eggs taste of garlic?

xx
Can Chickens Catch Colds from Humans?

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 12, 2010, 10:14
by Aunt Sally
xx
Colds in chickens...

Started by JackieV on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 13:52
by JackieV
xx
chickens with colds - any advice?

Started by haychickilady on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 01, 2009, 21:13
by haychickilady
xx
Do chickens get colds? How to treat?

Started by andyajsb on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 08:56
by joyfull

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 33 queries.