yoghurt

• 22 Replies

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: yoghurt
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 19:08 »
...I would still rather trying going back to "first principles" a la Hugh F-W, than use a machine and I had though like our Jamie that I might give this method a go.

:)
So would I if I had an airing cupboard or Aga, but our house is like an icebox half the day, and I've tried the flask method and it's too hit and miss. :ohmy:

Luckily I have quite an old house which has airing cupboards, drafts and warm and cold places.

Also, I omitted to mention earlier that there was a yoghurt making machine in the household when I was growing up and as quite a yoghurt fan, I couldn't recommend the produce from it. :(

"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

michellela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 11:50 »
Well, I gave it a go last night and was pleased this morning to see that it seems to have worked however it's a little grainy looking.  I have now put the end product in the fridge to both chill and hopefully set a little more.  After searching online I'm thinking the slightly grainy texture is because I lacked patience waiting for the temperature of the milk to cool before adding it to the starter yoghurt.  Also, I might have added too much starter yoghurt figuring that more was better.  I will see how it feels tonight when I get in from work but I'm going to have another go because it's kinda cool.

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 13:12 »
Thanks michellela,

Good to hear a report from one of our membership.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 13:27 »
Well, I've just tried my first electic yogurt and I have to say, it was gorgeous. Light and smoothe and creamy. Put a little good lemon curd in the second half....lovely. :tongue2: I'm now straining some to see how that works. I can see I will be eating a bit too much yogurt in the next few days. Well, you have to give it a good go, don't you? :dry:

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 13:45 »
You certainly do Tosca! :D

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 16:57 »
Straining complete, a lovely thick Greek style yogurt. I can feel a nice garlicky tzatziki coming on...... :tongue2:

Let's hope it's not beginner's luck! ::)

wighty

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2010, 20:58 »
I'm Lactose Intolerent , severely so, can't eat flavoured yoghuts but can eat greek kind (don't ask, don't know). I've tried making my own and they make  me ill!

michellela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2010, 21:28 »
I've just come in from work and was quick to check my yoghurt since it's been in the fridge all evening.  It's a LOT thicker with the chilling and the big grainy texture from this morning has settled down so while not as smooth looking as shop bought, it's perfectly acceptable.  I spooned some into a dish and stirred in some agave syrup which smoothed it out even more and it has to be said that it's delicious.

For those interested I used:
Yeo Valley Organic Natural Probiotic Yogurt
Tesco Organic Whole Milk

Thanks to Jamie Butterworth for bringing this to my attention.  I'm well impressed.

I'm Lactose Intolerent , severely so, can't eat flavoured yoghuts but can eat greek kind (don't ask, don't know). I've tried making my own and they make  me ill!

I found this quote online:
"Yogurt made with active and live bacterial cultures is a good source of calcium for many people with lactose intolerance. When this type of yogurt enters the intestine, the bacterial cultures convert lactose to lactic acid, so the yogurt may be well-tolerated due to a lower lactose content than yogurt without live cultures. Frozen yogurt does not contain bacterial cultures, so it may not be well-tolerated."
Not sure if it helps.

xx
Yoghurt??

Started by matilda duck on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

13 Replies
Last post July 02, 2009, 08:20
by Patricia
xx
Easiyo yoghurt

Started by sclarke624 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post October 23, 2008, 15:01
by sclarke624
xx
How do I strain yoghurt?

Started by Swing Swang on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post July 31, 2012, 05:17
by tosca100
xx
Yoghurt Maker

Started by willowman on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post January 15, 2009, 18:56
by joshwain

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 38 queries.