Oh NO! Poorly hens

• 8 Replies

Evansent

• Experienced Member
Oh NO! Poorly hens
« on: November 09, 2008, 16:06 »
One of my hens has what I think is mycoplasma!! She has bubbly eyes and is sneezing, some of the others are sneezing too but eyes look ok and all are eating.  What is my course of action , i think they need antibiotics don't they?  Do I need to seperate the worst one?   i am sooooo upset this is happening.    :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

C X
It's not the years that age you, it's the weekends!!!

Vember

Oh NO! Poorly hens
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 17:07 »
Hi Evansent

Yes it might be best to separate her from the others although the chances are the others may have it also :(
If it is Mycoplasma it is spread through them sneezing and also in their water :(
Antibiotics are needed, do you have a poultry vet near by?
Sometimes a vet will prescribe them without you having to take the bird :)

Sarah :)

peewee_lane

Oh NO! Poorly hens
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 17:49 »
Hey... I just posted on this in the last few weeks, the thread is called - Is it chronic Respiratory Disease?

Get an antibiotic asap... it is vital.

I had left it too long (only 3 days), I hadnt a clue what to do and posted here and the bubbly eye closed up and now my poor poor Meredith is blind in one eye.  :cry:

karlooben

Oh NO! Poorly hens
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 17:57 »
yep get antiboitics asap , mine have that and already i have noticed a difference although they are still sneezing .

i had one that was so done in the dumps that with all the mucus coming out her mouth even her feather were sticking to her beak but i gave her some orally an shes picked up and now  shes out with the others i cant tell what one it was :lol:  :lol:  but i have noticed another girl with a dodgy eye , mine will stay on the antibiotics for as long as i can maybe  a good week at least .

if it wasnt for ppl on here i would not of had a clue what was wrong with my girls but i was able to tell the vet prettty much what was wrong so he gave me braytil which is  what ppl in here said to get .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

peewee_lane

Oh NO! Poorly hens
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 17:58 »
Absolutely, I agree. I dont feel so alone when I can come here and ask peeps questions.  :D

Evansent

• Experienced Member
Oh NO! Poorly hens
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 18:16 »
Thanks everyone,

A friend of mine (fellow chicken owner) works in a vets and is going to get me some antibiotics tomorrow hopefully.

I don't know if the vet in the village deals with poultry, i will have to check.

Is there anything I can get "Over the counter" that might help if my friend can't come up with the goods and if it takes me a while to find a vet who can help?

and can i ask the dreaded question...gulp...am I going to lose them?

C XX   feeling like chicken poop!!!!

Oliveview

Oh NO! Poorly hens
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 18:28 »
Our hen (Alana) had a really poorly eye, she looked dreadful, I thought she had gone blind in it. She had a cold and was wheezing too. We got antibiotics from the vet, not Baytril though.  Her ´chest´improved fast but not her eye.  I used the eye drops I bought back in the UK when I had a sore eye myself,  which I had not used, they were for soothing the eye. Today Alana´s eye  looks almost normal, still not perfect but so much better.  Before it was sunk right back into her head.  I´ve still got her apart from the other hens during the day (in a penned off bit of the garden) and at night she is back in the garage.  She is putting on weight (I´m sure) She is so desperate to get back on the other side of the fence and join the other hens.   I hope your hens get better soon
Pamela
ps This all started about 3 weeks ago now, so it hasn´t been a fast recovery

Vember

Oh NO! Poorly hens
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 19:15 »
The Mortality rate is apparently low with Mycoplasma and from what I've read the antibiotics sometimes only suppress the disease, it can reoccur :(
It is advisable not to breed from infected stock as it can be transmitted through the eggs :(

I don't think there is anything you can get over the counter that will help - but I might be wrong :?

Get her to a vet or get antibiotics to her like others have said asap :)

Sarah :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Oh NO! Poorly hens
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 22:05 »
You're quite right Sarah mycoplasma is extremely difficult to eradicate completely and requires quite a long course of antibiotics.  Once you've had it in your birds you need always to be aware that it can reoccur and take swift action if it does  :(

xx
Poorly hens

Started by jillyr1 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 07, 2011, 08:31
by bantam novice
xx
Poorly hens?

Started by cudders on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 28, 2007, 21:28
by Aunt Sally
xx
Poorly hens!

Started by Holly Carney on The Hen House

44 Replies
Last post November 03, 2010, 22:22
by Holly Carney
xx
POORLY HENS

Started by db20xmax on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 06, 2008, 19:48
by mick.c

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 38 queries.