New to you in 2019

• 28 Replies

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: New to you in 2019
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2019, 19:14 »
Thanks for the feedback on the Lamb's lettuce, sold on that now!

Silva

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2019, 21:24 »
Nothing too wild for me, but I will be growing kohlrabi, sprouts and sweetcorn for the first time this year. I don't really know much about growing sweetcorn, so I'd better get swotting up! I've also been given some swede and turnip seeds which I haven't grown before, but I'm undecided as I'm not convinced they will be enthusiastically eaten!

I peel and cut swedes into batons and eat them raw as snacks, crunchy and peppery... lovely. Delicious dipped in red pepper hummous!

I didn't know you could eat swede raw, thanks for the tip!

I forgot to mention I am also growing broccoli rabe, has anyone tried this who could comment on growing tips/flavour? I have read it can be bitter but I once had some 'friarelli' greens which I think are the same thing and they were delicious.

theothermarg

• me
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2019, 08:04 »
Happy new year ! Have been just catching up on the thread
My newbie last year was Kohl rabi and it was very successful, I am still eating as it keeps well after pulling.
This year it's a type of very early sprouting broccoli called Rudolph (Kings) I already grow PSB and Flower sprouts so all the long term tall things shelter under the high netting in a group
Tell me and I,ll forget,Show me and I might
remember,Involve me and I,ll understand

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2019, 11:07 »
I forgot to mention I am also growing broccoli rabe, has anyone tried this who could comment on growing tips/flavour? I have read it can be bitter but I once had some 'friarelli' greens which I think are the same thing and they were delicious.

I grew it last year and it was good.  It grows quickly and goes to seed quickly, so I did a few modules at a time and planted them out.  They need a part shaded spot over summer I found, although last year was exceptionally warm.

Harvested regularly while young they are not bitter.  I also grew Turnip Greens from Real Seeds which are a similar leafy green for cooking.  They were good as well.  Lots of fresh greens fast from just a few seeds.  I had a net tunnel going for months with successive crops  :)

rowlandwells

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2019, 19:27 »
I like to grow something new each year and this year its going to be cabbice said to be 90 to 100 days from planting to maturity

I hold my hands up I know very little  about this variety only what I've read in the seed catalogue

Silva

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2019, 18:48 »
I grew it last year and it was good.  It grows quickly and goes to seed quickly, so I did a few modules at a time and planted them out.  They need a part shaded spot over summer I found, although last year was exceptionally warm.

Harvested regularly while young they are not bitter.  I also grew Turnip Greens from Real Seeds which are a similar leafy green for cooking.  They were good as well.  Lots of fresh greens fast from just a few seeds.  I had a net tunnel going for months with successive crops  :)

Thank you, I will remember to sow a few at a time in that case :)

Eblana

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2019, 20:13 »
Loofah in the PT and Kalettes (Kale Sprouts) - had them in a restaurant and they were delicious.

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2019, 22:29 »
Loofah in the PT and Kalettes (Kale Sprouts) - had them in a restaurant and they were delicious.

Loofah? Wow!

Eblana

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2019, 08:57 »

Loofah? Wow!

Got the seed at the Eden Project don’t know if they will work but worth a try.

Hobovore

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2019, 10:13 »
All is new to me but I think my most interesting will be Linen flax. Going to try processing it into linen myself, and if it turns out O.K. dye it with some of the vege harvest.

Linen flax varieties are disappearing and are all but gone in the UK, just trying to keep it alive.

Silva

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2019, 19:51 »
All is new to me but I think my most interesting will be Linen flax. Going to try processing it into linen myself, and if it turns out O.K. dye it with some of the vege harvest.

Linen flax varieties are disappearing and are all but gone in the UK, just trying to keep it alive.

That sounds great. I am interested in flax processing and hope to grow it myself at some point too. Please post on here with an update on how it goes if you get the chance :D

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2019, 22:41 »
I am planning to grow some sacrificial veg.
not sure what, but I'm digging as mich as I can, and want to put some leafy stuff in the bits I'm not digging -partly to loosen the earth and partly for green manure and/or chicken food....

I've got a few seeds goven to me by a friend, like perpetual spinach, pak Choi,  that kind of thing....
if it fails it fails, if it grows, there we go :D

Debz

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2019, 10:33 »
Got to try growing Celery this year according to the 5 year old.  She likes it - I think it's awful but I'll grow it for her.

theothermarg

• me
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2019, 18:38 »
Kalettes or Flower sprouts are very easy to grow but go tall and really need staking and yes are delicious in fact just had some of mine for my tea.  :tongue2:

clip
Asparagus spotting 2019

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 02, 2019, 19:55
by New shoot
xx
Onions from seed - 2019

40 Replies
Last post September 02, 2019, 15:21
by AnneB
xx
Seed potatoes for 2019

15 Replies
Last post December 19, 2018, 17:07
by rowlandwells
xx
What I did on the plot today 2019

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

143 Replies
Last post January 07, 2020, 14:33
by JayG

Page created in 0.48 seconds with 54 queries.