New to you in 2019

• 28 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
New to you in 2019
« on: January 02, 2019, 16:04 »
I have got a couple of completely new things to try, both multi-headed brassica crosses - brokali and sprouting cauliflower  :wacko:  They both sound a bit mad, but who knows, they could be my new favourites  :lol:

https://www.thompson-morgan.com/p/broccoli-brokali-apollo-f1-hybrid-calabrese-chinese-kale/4888TM

https://www.thompson-morgan.com/p/cauliflower-chinese-sweet-sprouting-f1-hybrid/tm79392TM

New stuff is always interesting to have a go at.  Some I decide are not for me, but some I keep growing year on year.  What is new to you this season?

whitehill1

• Experienced Member
Re: New to you in 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 17:14 »
my plot neighbor grown brokali ,it started cropping very quick, and went into autumn. with sprouting caulis ..you can have variation in meal :)

Edit: He actually sown seeds in the bed directly with some spacing. it did work  .
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 17:16 by whitehill1 »

Mr Dog

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 17:19 »
I grew Chinese caulies last year. From 6 plants I got one very small 'main' head. I'm hoping it was due to the weather and will be trying them again this year.

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 04:34 »
This year being the 1st full one on the plot, most things are new to me this time but the wildcard is some coffee plants I'm going to have a go at!

madcat

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 09:11 »
Cherokee beans, pink banana squash, Fat baby achocha and violette french beans are my planned newbies I think.  I am going to put a few swede and turnip back - they have been missing the last few years.  But ... there could be the odd impulse ... :blush:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Silva

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 19:56 »
Nothing too wild for me, but I will be growing kohlrabi, sprouts and sweetcorn for the first time this year. I don't really know much about growing sweetcorn, so I'd better get swotting up! I've also been given some swede and turnip seeds which I haven't grown before, but I'm undecided as I'm not convinced they will be enthusiastically eaten!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 20:35 »
Ever reckless ::), after several recommendations I'm going to give Wizard field beans a try this year. Will have to sow early spring rather than last autumn as I think even this variety would have struggled in my garden which although south facing gets little light in the depths of winter.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 22:16 »
Bigger plot = More space to try things  :D
Last year I planted perennial cauliflowers, supposed to head up in spring, so waiting to see if they're worth their space.
This year, I've got
Mayan Gold and Arran Pilot potatoes.
Golden Gourmet shallots, Dulce de Fuentes sweet onions and Rosanna, pink onions,
Coco Sophie heritage, flat climbing beans, Lazy Housewife beans.
A mild variety of Rocket (the self-seeding plants in the greenhouse have become very bitter over the last few years) and Green Purslane.
Waltham Calabrese and Daubenton's perennial kale.

I wonder which will be keepers  ;)

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 01:42 »
I was thinking about adding Lamb's Lettuce this year, anyone recommend it?

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 06:07 »
Plot1, I don't know if you have tried Claytonia,  but I did this year and had it as a garnish for Christmas day salmon, I would recommend it as a winter leaf. Back on topic, I haven't had time to do my seed list yet! Something to look forward to though....

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 08:52 »
I was thinking about adding Lamb's Lettuce this year, anyone recommend it?

AKA Corn Salad or Mache it is easy to grow, I sow mine in the greenhouse borders for winter salad, although it will grow outside in all but the worst winter weather. It's lovely but you need to sow a lot of it because each plant is very small compared with lettuce and the like, but you sow at the time of year when your allotment beds are being cleared  :) Be warned any fussy allotment types who think they are experts, will think you are growing weeds  :lol:

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 09:04 »
Nothing too wild for me, but I will be growing kohlrabi, sprouts and sweetcorn for the first time this year. I don't really know much about growing sweetcorn, so I'd better get swotting up! I've also been given some swede and turnip seeds which I haven't grown before, but I'm undecided as I'm not convinced they will be enthusiastically eaten!

I peel and cut swedes into batons and eat them raw as snacks, crunchy and peppery... lovely. Delicious dipped in red pepper hummous!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 16:49 »
A few things from the Seed Circle:

Syrian Black Broad Bean
Havana Gold Chilli
Wiltshire Green Pea
Lima Korai Heritage Tomato
Indian Sorrel (Chukka Koora)

The Wiltshire Pea is from Lettice's family, going way back, and I wonder if it is the same strain as "my" lot grew in Wltshire back in the day?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Mr Dog

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 18:34 »
Cherokee beans, pink banana squash, Fat baby achocha and violette french beans are my planned newbies I think.  I am going to put a few swede and turnip back - they have been missing the last few years.  But ... there could be the odd impulse ... :blush:

Be aware that Fat Baby is quite thuggish and will go on the rampage given a chance. I've grown it once (although we did enjoy it gently fried with garlic) and it tried to take over my  raspberry bed.

Missey

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 18:57 »
Picked up some Wilko seeds today trying - Florence fennel; multi coloured beetroot and multicoloured carrots and garlic new for me along with usual allotment offerings.  Oh will be trying sweet potatoes I’ve been reading threads on these so will be checking back to see when I need to soak them.

Just itching to get going but without a greenhouse I’ve a long while to wait yet.

Missey

xx
Seed potatoes for 2019

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post December 19, 2018, 17:07
by rowlandwells
xx
What I did on the plot today 2019

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

143 Replies
Last post January 07, 2020, 14:33
by JayG
xx
Early tomatoes 2019?

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 02, 2019, 08:40
by DD.
clip
Asparagus spotting 2019

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 02, 2019, 19:55
by New shoot

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 55 queries.