What wood to use

• 6 Replies

Eblana

What wood to use
« on: October 12, 2012, 23:02 »
Hi all,

In the process of ripping out my deck at home to replace it with paving slabs and now have lots of lovely timber planks to use for raised beds on the plot (I swear this had nothing to do with the decision to take the deck out) ;)  :D

Just wondering what is the best timber size & type to use for the corner spikes to drive into the ground and attach the boards to?

The deck boards were treated with oil about 4 years ago and are in perfect condition - do I need to treat them with anything now and also do I need to treat the corner 'spikes'?

davejg

• Experienced Member
Re: What wood to use
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 09:22 »
My beds are 2.4m x 1.2m, I didn't use corner posts just put 3 decking screws through the ends into the shorter boards. these were plenty strong enough when they ore on the ground.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 21:29 »
Depends on how high the boards and bed will be and how long.  I used 2x6"s and simply screwed in the ends with 3" screws.

If you're using 1" thick boards, you'll want to use at least a 2x4" corner post, and if the bed is over 6 ft long, then add centre 2x4's to keep the bed from sagging outward over time. Someone I know had this happen and he had to pull the top together with 'cross beams' to strengthen the sags.

grendel

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 09:27 »
why dont you just use a short length of decking board as the corner posts, it will double the thickness for you to screw into. plus you already have it. - or how about a piece of the decking under frame?
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Eblana

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 20:20 »
thanks everyone for the replies.  I have some 2 x 6 so I will try that.  When we got the boards off the top of the deck the timbers underneath were completely rotted through so much to my disappointment they had to go for scrap (we were lucky the whole thing didn't collapse under us judging by the state of the under timbers.

grendel

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 10:52 »
when I built my decking I found some old 6x6 timbers that had been coated with old engine oil, from all reports my wifes grandad laid them down in case they were useful over 30 years ago, the wood was still in perfect condition, somehow I dont think they are going to rot too quickly.
Grendel

Sideshoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 05:55 »
2" sqaure timber should be ok, with 6 " or so to sink into the ground.

xx
Wood Preservative

Started by Bodger on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post September 30, 2008, 09:24
by compostqueen
xx
Using creosoted wood

Started by Flatcat on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post July 27, 2012, 20:14
by arugula
xx
Wood Preservative

Started by mumofstig on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post March 19, 2024, 21:18
by AndyRVTR
xx
Wood chip paths

Started by Yana on Design and Construction

15 Replies
Last post January 04, 2013, 07:59
by bobr1960

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 38 queries.