Monty Don's exit

• 21 Replies

rowlandwells

Monty Don's exit
« on: April 29, 2021, 17:29 »
I seem to have read somewhere that Monty Don is taking a break from gardeners world and the cockney boy Adam Frost is taking the reins I have noticed that Monty hasn't been his best now for several programs and we seem to be getting repeats of last years series that's not really the same as up to date gardening not enough hands on gardening to my mind more of what i would call armchair gardening

hopefully Adam frost who cut his teeth with Geoff Hamilton on days gone by will hopefully get a tad more involved with the day  to day growing with more emphasis on actually  growing both veg and flowers from start to finish you know like Geoff Hamilton used to show us in the good old days

maybe the beeb needs to change its producers of gardeners world and get some new blood in place you know something on the lines of Beechgrove that seems to be hands on  watch this space

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Monty Don's exit
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 18:19 »
I like Frosty, and would be very glad to see more of him, so, as far as I'm concerned - fingers crossed  :D

MrsPea

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 18:53 »
New program on tonight with Carol Kline 7 channel  5
I Love my green house

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 19:34 »
Yup, got that set up to be recorded  ;)

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 06:58 »
The BBC will probably do what they did with 'The Archers', and totally muck up what used to be required viewing with superb gardeners to watch, listen to and understand!

They soon got rid of Peter Seabrook some years ago, (politically incorrect), but GQT was an absolute 'must' when I used to be driving around London and beyond - it heralded the weekend back then! Sadly not the case nowadays, (the prog, not the driving)...

I really cannot understand why they have to keep changing such a once-watchable programme, but thanks for the Carol Klein tip, she's gorgeous!

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 10:31 »
your absolutely rite Carol Klein very good presenter and we actually had some good garden advise and not the usual tosh dished out by the BBC

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 13:41 »
I seem to have read somewhere that Monty Don is taking a break from gardeners world and the cockney boy Adam Frost is taking the reins I have noticed that Monty hasn't been his best now for several programs and we seem to be getting repeats of last years series that's not really the same as up to date gardening not enough hands on gardening to my mind more of what i would call armchair gardening

hopefully Adam frost who cut his teeth with Geoff Hamilton on days gone by will hopefully get a tad more involved with the day  to day growing with more emphasis on actually  growing both veg and flowers from start to finish you know like Geoff Hamilton used to show us in the good old days

maybe the beeb needs to change its producers of gardeners world and get some new blood in place you know something on the lines of Beechgrove that seems to be hands on  watch this space

I think the reshowing of certain items on the programme is more down to the Covid restrictions that has prevented filming around the country for the last year to be honest and not down to weather Monty is up to scratch. Also he is the presenter so I expect he has little say in the production & direction of the programme, that will be down to the producers & directors.
I personally like Monty, he never professes to be anything that he’s not, he knows he comes from a privileged back ground, I think he is genuinely interested in people & their gardens, he always has something good to say about the recently introduced crop of films from the audience even if it’s not to his taste. He accepts he’s self taught, so can’t drop in to the conversation “when I trained at Kew....etc”
I don’t mind Adam Frost, but he’s not living in a suburban semi either & appears to have spent an awful lot of money over a short time getting his new house & garden sorted, good luck to him, he must have worked hard too.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Gleavo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 19:47 »
I don't really watch telly anymore but when I did I'd never dream of watching GW. I watched a couple of episodes a few year's back and it seemed irrelevant to my kind of growing/gardening so abandoned it. I think it's like a lot of old-school telly - like Top Gear. It was obviously presented by a dream team at one point with Clarkeson etc but they only spoke to their generation. To anyone younger they looked like dads having a mid-life crisis. They've tried to revamp it but times have changed. I think GW is suffering the same fate.

You've got to remember that the days of online isn't for the kids anymore - I'm 50 and have been online since I was 19/20. I get all of my gardening advice/knowledge from podcasts, youtube and forums like this. If I want to know about feeding asparagus I'll go on youtube for a tutorial. Sitting passively while some woman talks for ten mins about her passion for anemones is pointless because it's not my bag.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2021, 09:16 »
I thoroughly enjoy GW and Monty Don  :D

There, I've said it  :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2021, 10:27 »
Seems, Monty's only having a week off, so Frosty next week is the plan  ;)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 15:11 by mumofstig »

MrsPea

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2021, 12:38 »
Thoughly enjoyed Carol Klein last night  :D

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2021, 13:10 »
Mrs Tenhens read somewhere online that Monty was taking a break to do some 'audio' work apparently . Not much to go on I admit. I think the show is missing Nigel.

In terms of content the subject of gardening is certainly wide and varied with people having interests in many different aspects . Trying to cater for all areas of interest is going to be difficult .

I'm sure we all have our favourites and those we don't like , I know I certainly do ! 

we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

mrs bouquet

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2021, 13:15 »
Monty often suggests planting in threes or fives, not much good for my little gardens.   It would be nice if he remembered that we don't all have gardens the size of his.    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2021, 13:56 »
Mrs Tenhens read somewhere online that Monty was taking a break to do some 'audio' work apparently . Not much to go on I admit.

Yes, he said on twitter that he's spending 4 days to record one of his books (I think).

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2021, 14:22 »
Mrs Tenhens read somewhere online that Monty was taking a break to do some 'audio' work apparently . Not much to go on I admit.

Yes, he said on twitter that he's spending 4 days to record one of his books (I think).

Ah , yes ,   a little bird did tell me.  :lol: :lol:

Mrs Tenhens ( Yes , dear ) tells me the same 3's and 5's rule for planting in pots , heaven help me should I forget!!

I don't think Monty has forgotten that not everyone has a large garden , they have shown numerous viewers films of average ( what ever average is ) size gardens where the owner has been very creative with their imagination . 

xx
Monty on the farm

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post February 09, 2021, 11:39
by rowlandwells
xx
Monty s Down to earth

Started by Tenhens on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post August 25, 2022, 15:21
by New shoot
xx
Monty on plastic

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post March 27, 2018, 15:48
by Toosje
xx
Monty' s Nigel RIP

Started by Tenhens on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post May 12, 2020, 13:22
by MrsPea

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 52 queries.