100 years ago...

• 3 Replies

Growster...

100 years ago...
« on: June 06, 2020, 15:42 »
Mrs Growster's Mum would have been 100 today, and to celebrate in time honoured fashion, we had a favourite lunch of salmon and cucumber sandwiches and a glass of really good white!

Lots of memories, and laughs to boot - but, cucumber has started giving me 'nasties' after all these years...

Today I tried a new way to take on the delicacy, with a good peeling, a splash of Balsamic and white wine vinegars, a pinch of salt, and a few grains of brown sugar, all bottled up and left in the fridge for an hour or so!

Does anyone else get this 'problem', and have you any other remedies?

(The late Mrs Growster may well have known a few, but I can't ask her now, more's the pity, she was a gorgeous chum, a lovely looking, very funny lady and we loved her to bits)!

snowdrops

Re: 100 years ago...
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 16:06 »
What a wonderful way to remember your mum in law, she sounds wonderful must be where Mrs G gets it from  :). Sorry can’t help on the cucumber issue except my neighbour suffers the same for bought cucumbers but not those I grow & donate? Last few years I’ve grown Beth Alpha,chinese slangan & marketmore.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 18:05 »
What a wonderful way to remember your mum in law, she sounds wonderful must be where Mrs G gets it from  :). Sorry can’t help on the cucumber issue except my neighbour suffers the same for bought cucumbers but not those I grow & donate? Last few years I’ve grown Beth Alpha,chinese slangan & marketmore.

You make a good point there, Snows...

It is definitely a 'bought' cuce, as we just didn't ever use enough when we grew them at home, so we stopped all that (most would die anyway - they do that as a matter of instinct) and now use the space for more peppers etc!

Any'ow - three hours later and not much of a sign of the burps, so maybe we're getting there!

TonyB.

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 18:47 »
I grow Burpless Cucumber - D T Brown sell the seeds and probably elsewhere.

xx
Next few years, maybe...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

15 Replies
Last post January 23, 2018, 18:03
by Growster...
xx
This years man flu ...

Started by Lardman on Chatting on the Plot

11 Replies
Last post March 16, 2018, 10:44
by madcat
clip
40 Years ago

Started by Aidy on Chatting on the Plot

12 Replies
Last post October 25, 2019, 13:47
by Blackpool rocket
xx
Is it going to be one of those years again?

Started by al78 on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post June 03, 2018, 16:39
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 42 queries.