Silly compost question

• 2 Replies

Classybird

Silly compost question
« on: April 27, 2014, 11:33 »
Hi, I'm creating new raised beds in my garden.  I was hoping to empty my compost bin in there and mix it in with soil.  Obviously there is new and old stuff in the compost bin.  Can this be done?  What would happen, or is it fine?  Sorry for my silly question. 

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Silly compost question
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 12:37 »
Partly depends on how 'rough' the uncomposted stuff is, how much soil in relation in compost there will be, and what you want to grow in the bed.

Root crops would certainly fork when they hit obstructions, and sowing small seeds could be made more difficult, although burying the compost under at least a few inches of the topsoil would help with the latter, as well as delaying the germination of any weed seeds in the mixture.

The more uncomposted material there is the more you need to be prepared for it to sink when it does rot, although even 'finished' compost will eventually disappear so will need topping up from time to time.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

gremlin

• Experienced Member
Re: Silly compost question
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 12:39 »
No such thing as a silly question  :)     ( beaten to an answer by Jay G !)

All your compost material will do good for the soil. I'ts always better in the soil than in the bin.  Mix it well up so there aren't  clumps of grass clippings, or leaves.  Bury any coarser compost at the bottom of your beds and let the worms mix it up for you.

The only risk is that fresher stuff will rot down and shrink, so you raised beds might need topping up in few months.   You might get a few more weed seeds germinating from  the fresher stuff. 

There will be someone who suggests that the fresh material  might rob nitrogen from the soil but, give the amount of nitrogen excessive fertilizer we all chuck about, I personally think that is all a bit theoretical.
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

xx
Courgette Growing-Pollination question(probably a silly novice type question!)

Started by Marcus10 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 10:11
by compostqueen
xx
Very silly question!

Started by plot53b on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 15, 2012, 23:19
by Nikkithefoot
xx
Next silly question...

Started by snooziebunny on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 03, 2014, 22:06
by snooziebunny
xx
Silly pea question???

Started by arh on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 21, 2017, 13:59
by arh

Page created in 0.387 seconds with 35 queries.