Bokashi method

• 0 Replies

Jaybees

Bokashi method
« on: July 21, 2020, 15:22 »
Hi

I'm looking into different composting ways and found that our local council offered traditional composts bins and Bokashi bins. After further research I found Bokashi method, which basically ferments/pre-composts the kitchen scarps, cooked food and certain dairy products. And once the bin is full and you can use the juice for drain cleaning and also as fertiliser by diluting with water. Since my daily kitchen scraps (which mainly consists of peels and coffee grounds) are not much and I rarely have leftover food that goes bad in the fridge I decided to give Bokashi method a try out.

Whilst researching the website mentions that after Bokashi bin is full and let it rest for 2 weeks then you can dump the contents into traditional compost bins or dig a trench in your garden and bury it where the soil needs improving or put Bokashi bin contents in planters in between layers of soil until its broken down and mixed thoroughly with soil ready to be used.

As I don't have much garden space, just a small patio area covered in concrete tiles. I was hoping to buy couple of deep planters and some soil to mix with Bokashi bin contents along with that I would be adding some coconut coir leftover once I've harvested the microgreens which I grow indoors. And then after 2 weeks or more the Bokashi fermented contents would have fully broken down, I can then use that soil for my smaller pots for growing herbs/salad leaves.

I'm not sure if this work? and also I'm not sure what sort of soil to use - multipurpose top soil or potting mix?
Any guidance or pointers would be helpful. :)

Thanks in advance
Regards,
J

xx
Bokashi and Hot Bins

Started by TopFlat on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post January 09, 2021, 22:29
by basketcase
xx
Have you tried the Back to Eden method?

Started by GrowinGrowinGone on General Gardening

29 Replies
Last post August 13, 2013, 04:31
by Trillium

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 34 queries.