My Plant Nemesis

• 9 Replies

LotuSeed

My Plant Nemesis
« on: September 29, 2014, 19:32 »
By far the worst plant I have to deal with in my yard is the Air Potato (Dioscorea bulbifera). It's a constant battle that I always seem to end up losing. Each spring I find myself crouching on the ground on hands and knees trying to pull up sprouts and dig out as many "lovely" tubers as I can, sealing them in a bin bag and trying desperately to keep them from dropping out and spreading to other parts of the yard. In the middle of the summer heat I'm wrenching the vines of fences and unwinding them from plants that I actually want to grow. In the fall I try to remove as many of those knobby little orbs from the vines before I remove any remaining vines lest they have a chance to drop to the ground and reseed.  And yet despite my best efforts, they still manage to come back...every year...taking over and driving me bonkers in the process.  :mad:  They're worse than the bamboo whose stalks I cut down with a reciprocating saw and whose woody rhizomes I have to dig up and pull, more invasive than the english ivy the creeps up the walls of my house and the trunks of any trees or shrubs it can find, more sinister than the winter creeper that covers the ground in a blanket of tough vines with waxy leaves as it makes its way to find a tree trunks to smother to death.   ZOMG  :mad:

What's your worst plant nemesis? 
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Goosegirl

Re: My Plant Nemesis
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 10:51 »
Apart from weeds, it's either Welsh poppies or Brunnera.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 11:44 »
Chickweed - it seeds profusely as soon as my back's turned, even with a sharp hoe I can't slice gratifyingly through the stems so the plants get lifted out of the ground (but not far enough to kill them), yet perversely if I try to pull them out by hand they invariably snap off leaving the roots intact to grow back another day.  :nowink:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 17:20 »
Sticky Willy - it doesn't just stick to me and make me itch uncontrollably, it seems to hang onto plants so tenaciously that you can never get the last bit - oh, and it covers the cats with burs which they hate having removed!   >:(

LotuSeed

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 17:33 »
I'd love an over abundance of poppies, until I actually had one and then I'd have wished I'd kept my mouth shut!  :lol:
Chickweed, gotta love those plants that seed themselves so readily in the blink of an eye! :wacko:

Sticky Willy is terrible! My dog gets covered in the stuff during the spring and early summer. Nature's Velcro that stuff!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 19:25 »
Dock. The tiniest plant has a really long root and unless I get it out unbroken it carries on growing and makes an even larger plant. They hide in amongst the strawberry plants invisible until the leaves are 20cm long or so, when the root by then is double that length in the ground.  Can't then dig them out without disturbing the strawberries.

Not helped by swathes of the d@mn things growing along the verges, so a constant rain of seeds from about June onwards  ::) ::)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Comfr3y

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 11:28 »
Comfrey (funnily enuf) great plant but some genius planted it all over my plot = it also acts as a wingman for dock. double trouble.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 12:39 »
There was a photo on here some years ago of someone's plot completely overrun with comfrey  :ohmy:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

LotuSeed

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 03:36 »
Can't say I've had the pleasure of dealing with dock weed. I've heard of using comfrey to make fertilizer but I've never come across that one either  :tongue2:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 09:18 »
Here it's either couch grass - spreads by seed or long white spreading root, the slightest bit of root regrows - or
bindweed, which spreads in the same way  :ohmy:

Both are strangling my raspberries atm  :( Something I must try to  clear this winter  ::)
(Another job on the list !)

xx
Plant ID please.

Started by arugula on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post February 10, 2013, 08:29
by arugula
xx
plant for i d

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post February 17, 2012, 19:59
by snowdrops
clip
Plant ID

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post May 03, 2020, 23:08
by grinling
clip
plant ID help please

Started by chile_paul on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post May 31, 2016, 12:58
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 40 queries.