Hen with swollen eye

• 8 Replies

Miss Bean

Hen with swollen eye
« on: October 19, 2009, 08:26 »
One of my girls has a rather large swelling just under her eye. It's large enough to cause her eye to close to just a slit… kinda looks like she's just done a round with Mike Tyson!  :ohmy:

Otherwise, she seems quite well: the eye isn't weeping, she's feeding, drinking, laying just like normal.

Should I do something, or just wait for mother nature to sort this out?
Lesley, loves growing beans!

karlooben

Re: Hen with swollen eye
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 18:33 »
hi , i take it u have had a really close look she may very well have a splinter or other foreign object in there , wash her eye with damp cotton wool if poss but do it very gently an see if this can make her better if this doesnt work then u will need to pop her to a vet .

i have found that wrapping them in a towel works well if the bird doesnt like to be handled to much . hope its nothing seruios :D
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 20:49 »
mother nature might struggle to sort it out.
Couple of things you could do to help her along though :)
Wash her eye in tepid salty water to cleanse, wipe one way only though, dont rub. Have a look inside her beak, can you see any "cheesy" hard substance there?
Check whether she feels hot, any runny discharge from her eye or beak? Sometimes they rub the beak under their wings so you might see a sticky residue there. If there is an infection  an antibiotic called Baytril may be prescribed. Consulltaton and meds should cost around £20 on average.
Finally, check for any trauma, she still may need antibiotics if there is any damage there. Check your coop and run for any sharp edges, chicken wire, etc. Give the coop a good clean and disinfect. Make sure any bedding is dust extracted and finely chopped straw not hay used in nestboxes.
Hope this helps! :)

Miss Bean

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 18:29 »
thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I've been out all day so haven't been able to make a really close inspection, although my husband says she was running happily around the garden with the others!

Will report back tomorrow…

Miss Bean

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 18:38 »
Well… I can report that the swelling is getting larger and I have bathed the poorly eye with tepid slat water as the hen roosts. There doesn't seem to be any discharge, or any puss either around the eye or under her wing. I can't see if there is anything stuck into the skin around her eye… it's a mystery.

She's been running around the garden quite happily, eating, drinking and pooping normally!

???

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 18:48 »
Try wiping the eye with cold tea on cotton wool, seperate piece for each eye, works a treat  :)

Michelle xx
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

Miss Bean

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 21:23 »
cold tea!  :ohmy:

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 21:31 »
Yes cold tea, it works well on all animals and humans for conjuctivitus (spelling ???) try it  :)

Michelle xx

Foxy

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 21:34 »
sounds like an infection in the sinus under the eye, and most likely will need a course of antibiotics. Baytril would be effective and you shouldn't expect to pay more that around £20 - £30 including consultation.
In the meantime some ACV and garlic in the drinking water will help :)
Also have a quick check in the beak just check whether you can see any cheesy substances or lesions.

xx
Swollen Eye

Started by cluckiegreenfingers on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 23, 2008, 15:02
by cluckiegreenfingers
xx
Swollen toe!

Started by pennyrelf on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 25, 2011, 20:04
by pennyrelf
xx
Swollen above eye

Started by Catsmuvva on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 24, 2009, 19:26
by Catsmuvva
xx
swollen eye lid

Started by walker on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 05, 2012, 15:18
by walker

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 36 queries.