Any suggestions please

• 2 Replies

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
Any suggestions please
« on: August 02, 2010, 13:23 »
Hello

I dont usually post in this section but wondered if you could help -  my daughter has started showing a huge interest in flowers could you suggest any plants that I could edge my allotment with which would help attract bees but would also be suitable for her to pick the  flowers and bring home ideally something that would just come back year after year we currently have some lavenders and hope to get more but I was perhaps looking for something dare I say "cheaper"  :D

Thanks in advance
Missy

RichardA

Re: Any suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 14:00 »
There are bee mixes for sale but these are usually annuals. Cheap annuals such as candyfuft or lobelia, marigolds etc would still come this year to give interest for her. Longer term stuff such as lupins or various bell like flowers usually interest the bees and could be started from seed this year to plant next to reduce costs. I am sure most gardeners would give you seed or cuttings from this years perennials or self setting annuals such as poppies, aqulegia etc.
Many of the green manure mixes are good for attracting bees and woudl help your plot. Phacelia being one.
Hope she stays interested
R

compostqueen

Re: Any suggestions please
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 14:04 »
Calendula are lovely and will self seed around or you can collect the seeds to sow again.  Nasturtiums, Californian poppies, nigella are all very easy and add colour and will attract insects.  Sweet peas are lovely as cut flowers and again easy to grow. 

xx
Suggestions please.

Started by A. Fallowfield on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post February 19, 2010, 16:16
by A. Fallowfield
xx
Suggestions please

Started by thestens on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post September 02, 2012, 18:39
by casper
xx
Suggestions Please

Started by beth123 on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post July 08, 2011, 17:34
by JayG
xx
perennial suggestions please

Started by mumofstig on General Gardening

14 Replies
Last post October 14, 2009, 20:15
by Teen76

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 29 queries.